Browsed by
Month: November 2011

November is Diabetes Awareness Month

November is Diabetes Awareness Month

A guest blog post by Dr. Stefanie Nigro who is an Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of CT School of Pharmacy. A few weeks ago, I was visiting my family in NY and ran into my old friend Kerri. Although it’s been a long time since I’ve seen her, I will always remember the first time we officially met. I ended up in the nurse’s office after scraping my knee playing kickball. While the nurse was attending to my…

Read More Read More

How Do We…? Further Lessons from the Power Outage

How Do We…? Further Lessons from the Power Outage

Last week, I wrote about how different individuals responded to the prolonged power outage that has afflicted Connecticut for over a week.  Yet it hasn’t been just individuals that have struggled to get by during the prolonged power outage.  Several of our sites were without power for extended periods.  We are happy to let everyone know that all of our sites have power again and we are even happier to thank the tremendous effort that our staff have undertaken to…

Read More Read More

Drs. Jerome Groopman and Pamela Hartzband, authors of the new book Your Medical Mind.

Drs. Jerome Groopman and Pamela Hartzband, authors of the new book Your Medical Mind.

This week, Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Jerome Groopman, a Harvard physician and New Yorker staff writer, and Dr. Pamela Hartzband, an endocrinologist and faculty member at Harvard Medical School, about their new book Your Medical Mind: How to Decide What is Right for You. They explore what influences our medical decisions– from personal biases to statistical influences on decisions to test and treat. To download a full transcript of this episode click here.

It Takes a Village…to raise the bar on patient care

It Takes a Village…to raise the bar on patient care

At the 4th annual Primary Care Summit held yesterday in Rocky Hill, CHC’s own Dr. Marwan Haddad received the Primary Care Leadership Award. The criteria for the award included mentoring, team medicine, quality improvement, patient safety and advocacy – which, for anyone who knows and has had the pleasure to work with Dr. Haddad, know that he excels in all aspects. Dr. Haddad was recruited to CHC in 2006 and since then he has not only increased access to care…

Read More Read More

How Can I…? Lessons from the Power Outage

How Can I…? Lessons from the Power Outage

Different people respond to emergencies in different ways.  This was driven home to me yesterday when I visited the emergency shelter in Middletown, CT for people that have lost power due to the October snow storm. On the way, I passed a gas station where the price had gone up five cents from the day of the snowstorm.  It seemed like someone was asking, “how can I profit from the power outage?” At the shelter, it seemed like many people…

Read More Read More

Walk for Breast Cancer Awareness

Walk for Breast Cancer Awareness

Unfortunately Mother Nature did not cooperate with the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, which was scheduled for Sunday morning in Westport, CT. CHC’s Fairfield County staff was all set and ready to walk to make a difference in the lives of numerous women across the state but instead they could be found Sunday morning shoveling their walks or huddled around fireplaces, keeping warm. Westport received almost six inches of snow, an unheard of amount for October. However, not all…

Read More Read More