Browsed by
Month: June 2016

How to Manage Diabetes during Ramadan

How to Manage Diabetes during Ramadan

A few years ago CHC published a blog discussing Ramadan and the precautions diabetic patients may need to take to manage their health while fasting. Given that Ramadan occurs during the summer solstice this year, meaning the time between sunrise and sunset is significantly longer, we have updated the previous blog to reflect the potential challenges patients may face. CHC dietitian Marissa Garcia, MS, RD, CD-N has prepared a number of suggestions for diabetic patients to follow during Ramadan. Fasting…

Read More Read More

Lynn Quincy, Director of Health Care Value Hub, Consumers Union

Lynn Quincy, Director of Health Care Value Hub, Consumers Union

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Lynn Quincy, Director of the Health Care Value Hub at Consumers Union, which seeks to assist consumers in obtaining the best information on drug and health care pricing, consumer-friendly insurance plans and health outcomes data. Ms. Quincy discusses the benefits of increased coverage for millions of Americans under the ACA, as well as the need for a national effort to contain health care costs, and curb the alarming trend of…

Read More Read More

Classic Roasted Salsa

Classic Roasted Salsa

Ingredients: 2 large tomato’s 1 medium white onion, halved 3 jalapenos 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 limes) Coarse salt and ground pepper 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro Directions: Heat broiler, with rack in top position. Place tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, and garlic in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil until vegetables are blistered and slightly softened, rotating sheet and flipping vegetables frequently, 6 to 8 minutes (garlic may need to be removed earlier, if…

Read More Read More

Harpreet Sood, Sr. Fellow to CEO of NHS England

Harpreet Sood, Sr. Fellow to CEO of NHS England

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr.Harpreet Sood, Sr. Fellow to the CEO of the National Health Service of England. Dr. Sood addresses the strengths of the health systems of both the UK and the US, and discusses innovations in care delivery and public health initiatives that are poised to transform the quality of care in both countries.

When I met Muhammad Ali

When I met Muhammad Ali

I was traveling down south visiting Health Centers and landed in the Memphis Airport and was walking between arrivals and departures when I saw a man with a gaggle of young children beside him. Walking by I glanced and by the time I got another ten paces I stopped and pivoted back to confirm my amazement. There in the middle of the Memphis airport was Muhammad Ali signing autographs for a group of young children. I looked around and saw…

Read More Read More

Prescription for Outdoor Activity; a Day with Dr. Robert Zarr

Prescription for Outdoor Activity; a Day with Dr. Robert Zarr

This past Friday, May 27th, Dr. Robert Zarr, MD, MPH, FAAP, a board-certified pediatrician at Unity Health in Washington, DC visited CHC to conduct grand rounds for our providers. While he was here, he also led a Community Forum in which he discussed his renowned Park RX program. When I met Dr. Zarr, it was evident that he was excited to be here in Connecticut, discussing his work.  Before grand rounds, Dr. Zarr took the time to talk to each…

Read More Read More