Browsed by
Month: June 2016

Dr. Robert Zarr, ParkRx Advisor, National Park Service

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Robert Zarr, pediatrician at Unity Health in Washington, DC and founder of the ParkRx movement, which seeks to help patients achieve optimal health by prescribing the use of local park spaces. Dr. Zarr discusses the science behind the movement and the development of a national data base for clinicians around the country to prescribe park time for improved mental health, physical well-being and reduced obesity rates among their patients.

Supreme Victory

Supreme Victory

Domestic violence survivors, victims and advocates won a victory today when the Supreme Court, in a 6-2 opinion delivered by Justice Kagan, upheld a federal law banning perpetrators of domestic violence from owning firearms.  The court ruled that reckless acts of domestic violence, in addition to intentional acts, are considered misdemeanor crimes that warrant restriction of gun ownership. The defendants in two cases brought to the Supreme Court were arguing that reckless acts of domestic violence should not be treated…

Read More Read More

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Robert Zarr, pediatrician at Unity Health in Washington, DC and founder of the ParkRx movement, which seeks to help patients achieve optimal health by prescribing the use local park spaces. Dr. Zarr discusses the science behind the movement and the development of a national data base for clinicians around the country to prescribe park time for improved mental health, physical well being and reduced obesity rates among their patients.

Goodness, Oh My!  Self-Care While Working with Trauma

Goodness, Oh My!  Self-Care While Working with Trauma

In the wake of recent human atrocities, I find myself engaging in a practice that I used to implement routinely when I first began treating trauma victims.  I would look around and ask myself – Where is the goodness?  It doesn’t take long to notice, the goodness is all around you. The goodness is in the sweet scent of spring when you open your door in the morning.  It is in the smile that greets you when walk through the…

Read More Read More

New Kid on the Block

New Kid on the Block

I am wearing new shoes today. I am wearing new shoes for my new role as Director of Domestic Violence, Research and Education at Community Health Center Inc.’s New Horizons.  I am the New Kid on the Block among devoted and talented Executive Directors of domestic violence agencies across the state, all supported by the Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence. As a mother and psychologist, I have a ton of experience under my belt.  I can pack a lunch while…

Read More Read More

Dr. Emmanuel d’Harcourt, Senior Health Director, International Rescue Committee

Dr. Emmanuel d’Harcourt, Senior Health Director, International Rescue Committee

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Emmanuel d’Harcourt, Senior Health Director at the International Rescue Committee, an international aid organization dedicated to mitigating the plight of the world’s 60 million refugees. Dr. d’Harcourt discusses the challenges of coordinating care among the world’s NGOs and the World Health Organization and the need to build a more integrated aid infrastructure.