Browsed by
Month: September 2012

Preparing for Stand Down 2012

Preparing for Stand Down 2012

Tomorrow, over 50 staff from CHC will participate in the 17th annual Stand Down at the Connecticut Veterans Home in Rocky Hill.  This event provides free services, assistance and information to Connecticut Veterans. The past few days have been a flutter with people preparing for the event, and folks from CHC will be arriving early in the morning to make sure everything is all set up. A major part of CHCs contribution to Stand Down is our dental services.  Residents…

Read More Read More

Sarah Kliff, Senior Health Correspondent at the Washington Post/WonkBlog

Sarah Kliff, Senior Health Correspondent at the Washington Post/WonkBlog

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Sarah Kliff, Senior Health Correspondent for the Washington Post and Wonkblog, the daily blog at the Washington Post. Ms. Kliff analyzes the health plans and policies of President Obama as well as his Republican Challenger, Mitt Romney, and examines at the potential for changes to the Affordable Care Act should there be a change in administrations.

CHC Picnic 9/9/12

CHC Picnic 9/9/12

Entering into a new stage of life can be daunting, overwhelming, confusing and frustrating. As a recent college graduate, I can undoubtedly say I have experienced all of these feelings since receiving my diploma in late May, and the current state of the job market has only made matters more interesting for my peers and I. I was fortunate enough to discover AmeriCorps – and in particular the Community HealthCorps program within which I am currently serving – early this…

Read More Read More

Lynn Quincy, Senior Health Policy Analyst for Consumers Union

Lynn Quincy, Senior Health Policy Analyst for Consumers Union

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Lynn Quincy, Senior Health Policy Analyst for Consumers Union, the policy branch of Consumer’s Report. Ms. Quincy discusses her report on recommendations for design architecture of the on-line health insurance exchanges being created in states around the country, so that they are easy to navigate and consumer-friendly.

I Got My Flu Shot Today, Did You?

I Got My Flu Shot Today, Did You?

There are a lot of reasons people don’t get their flu shots.  They’re too busy.  They have some medical issue they’re concerned about. They worry that the shot will hurt.   I know I had both of these issues this year, but CHC has dealt with both of these issues for me.  In terms of being too busy, they make it very quick.  I walked in, spoke with a few friends, checked a few boxes on a simple form and added…

Read More Read More

Darrell West, Director of the Center for Technology Innovation, Brookings Institution

Darrell West, Director of the Center for Technology Innovation, Brookings Institution

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Darrell West, Founder and Director of the Center for Technology Innovation at the Brookings Institution and author of Digital Medicine: Health Care In the Internet Era. Mr. West explores the mobile economy project at Brookings, which is examining the myriad ways mobile technology is being deployed to improve health care delivery and outcomes.