“Our life is more than our work, and our work is more than our job.”

“Our life is more than our work, and our work is more than our job.”

It is an old union chant I learned decades ago and these days, as people struggle to find good jobs, it has come back to my mind.  Many people I know take jobs to pay the bills.  Their job aren’t really an important part of the greater work they want to do, and it is something they endure to be able to have the type of life they want.

Others are more fortunate.  They view their work in terms of making the world a better place, and their jobs are part of how they get to do this.  Yes, their lives are more than their work, but their work brings meaning to their lives.  Likewise, their work is more than their jobs, but their jobs are an important part of their work.

Some of my coworkers fall into this latter category.  These are the coworkers that went to the Meriden Daffodil Festival last weekend to help people find out about health care options they might not realize they have.  These are the coworkers that participated in the March for Babies to raise money for the March of Dimes efforts to prevent birth defects, premature birth, and infant mortality.

These are my coworkers that donated to the United Way as part of CHC’s record campaign, coordinated by Erin Yoder Logue.  Through her efforts, CHC employees pledged $19,000 in donations, $11,000 more than last year. The number of donors increased 321% — from 28 to 118.

Not only do CHC employees do a lot of important work that is more than their jobs, but they have a lot of fun doing it.

Now, our AmeriCorps members are gearing up for their big spring service week.  Check out details on the CHC Community HealthCorps Facebook page as well as their new Twitter account, @CHCHealthCorps and join our AmeriCorps members and CHC staff as we celebrate working together.

Comments are closed.