Browsed by
Month: November 2012

New Nurse Practitioner in Residency Profile – Jessica Johnson

New Nurse Practitioner in Residency Profile – Jessica Johnson

Meet Jessica Johnson, a new Nurse Practitioner in Residency at CHC, Inc.! – Can you tell us a bit about your educational background? My bachelor’s and master’s in nursing are both from Samford University in Birmingham, AL. – What about joining CHC most excites you? Most importantly, I hope to grow in my confidence and skills to most effectively care for underserved populations. I am also excited about taking what I learn this year to impact my home state of Alabama. – If…

Read More Read More

Special Olympics – Holiday Sports Classic

Special Olympics – Holiday Sports Classic

During this time of the year – when people are often stressed and just ready for the break that comes with Thanksgiving  – perspective can be very important. This past Saturday, November 17th, eight of our HealthCorps Navigators got just that. The Special Olympics Connecticut Holiday Sports Classic took place this past weekend at venues across the state, and our Navigators traveled to the AMF Lanes in Milford to assist with one of the bowling events. As we arrived we…

Read More Read More

Dr. Basit Chaudry

Dr. Basit Chaudry

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Basit Chaudry, Lead Research Clinician for Watson, IBM’s natural language computing system made famous by victories on the quiz show Jeopardy! Dr. Chaudry is a national leader in the effort to modernize health care through information technology and talks about IBM’s program to adapt Watson’s super-computing capabilities and language recognition programming to facilitate diagnostics and treatment decisions in health care.

November is National Diabetes Awareness Month

November is National Diabetes Awareness Month

Nearly 26 million Americans have diabetes. This total – which amounts to 8.3% of our country’s population – is one that only continues to rise.  Seventy nine million more Americans have pre-diabetes and are at risk of being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, further underlining the seriousness of the disease. The month of November is officially designated as National Diabetes Awareness Month, and the American Diabetes Association (ADA) goes to great lengths every year to promote education about the various…

Read More Read More

Wesleyan Student Volunteer Efforts at CHC

Wesleyan Student Volunteer Efforts at CHC

As the leaves continue to fall and the air gets increasingly crisper, college students across the country prepare for the second half of their fall semester. Inevitably, final papers and exams await these scholars in less a month’s time, and enjoying the changing of the seasons only adds to their busy schedules. With all of this being said, it is always impressive to see young adults putting aside a few hours here or there to volunteer for a worthy…

Read More Read More

Marjorie Godfrey, MS, RN, Co-Director of the Dartmouth Institute Microsystem Academy

Marjorie Godfrey, MS, RN, Co-Director of the Dartmouth Institute Microsystem Academy

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Marjorie Godfrey, MS, RN, Co-Director of the Dartmouth Institute Microsystem Academy and the Director of the Microsystem Resource Group. Marjorie is a national and international leader in designing and implementing improvement strategies in the place where patients, families and care teams meet – in the clinical microsystem. She discusses her strategies for improving the work flow in the clinical care environment by empowering nurse leaders and coaches within the health care system.