Monthly Archives: December 2011

What it means to be homeless

This time a year ago I was living just outside of Los Angeles. I was trying to get by, working as many part-time jobs as possible. Unfortunately, the hours weren’t enough so I had more free time than I would have … Continue reading

Posted in AmeriCorps, Cancer, WYA | 1 Comment

National Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day

It is a rainy December evening, the longest night of the year.  At least this year, it isn’t too cold.  I’ve just walked back to the office after attending the Homeless Persons’ Memorial Service at The Church of the Holy … Continue reading

Posted in Employees, WYA | Leave a comment

Gail Wilensky, economist and senior fellow at Project HOPE

This week, Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with health economist Dr. Gail Wilensky, Senior Fellow at Project HOPE and former Administrator of Medicare and Medicaid. Gail discusses the future of Medicare and Medicaid in the wake of the Affordable … Continue reading

Posted in CHC Radio | Leave a comment

Dave deBronkart, Founding Member of the Society for Participatory Medicine.

This week, Conversations on Health Care focuses on patient participation in their health care. Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dave deBronkart, better known as “e-Patient Dave” about how opening health care information directly to patients and encouraging their … Continue reading

Community Based Family Wellness

A lot of people dislike fire drills, but it is important to be prepared for possible fires.  Likewise, it would be nice if we lived in a world that didn’t need community services, but things happen from time to time … Continue reading

Posted in Employees | Leave a comment

After World AIDS Day 2011

This post is an email from Kasey Harding-Wheeler, who is our Director of HIV Service: Thank you so much to everyone who attended or helped plan World AIDS Day. It was a moving tribute to the people we have lost … Continue reading

Posted in Employees, HIV/AIDS | Leave a comment

Aneesh Chopra, U.S. Chief Technology Officer

This week, Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Aneesh Chopra, the first United States Chief Technology Officer. Aneesh discusses growing the economy through innovations in healthcare technology, new federal initiatives to improve the healthcare system, and what “unleashing” data … Continue reading

Washington Village Holiday Party in Norwalk!!

A guest post from Fairfield County AmeriCorps member Diana Desmornes: Saturday December 3rd, 2011, The Day Street Community Health Center hosted a holiday party for kids of Washington Village, a housing complex located directly across the street from the health … Continue reading

Posted in AmeriCorps | Leave a comment

Today is World AIDS Day 2011

The following is an email from Dr. Marwan Haddad to our CHC staff helping in the day to day battle against AIDS: We are now three decades into the HIV epidemic. Though we have made great strides in these last 30 … Continue reading

Posted in Employees, HIV/AIDS, Telemedicine | Leave a comment