Browsed by
Month: November 2013

ObamaCare Outreach – Wesleyan Edition

ObamaCare Outreach – Wesleyan Edition

This past weekend, we here at the Community Health Center formally increased our outreach in regards to the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as ObamaCare. With the Obama administration hitting an all time low in their most recent satisfaction polls, I brainstormed different ways to improve this and the overall morality of the ObamaCare program. I immediately thought about starting an ACA Outreach group at WesleyanUniversity, which main purpose would be to educate different populations about the program and further…

Read More Read More

H. Stephen Lieber, President and CEO of HIMSS Worldwide

H. Stephen Lieber, President and CEO of HIMSS Worldwide

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with H. Stephen Lieber, President and CEO of the Healthcare Information Management Systems Society, also known as HIMSS, a global, cause-based, not-for-profit healthcare association focused on achieving better health with information technology. Mr. Lieber assesses where we are globally in terms of health IT adoption standards and the need for enhanced broadband capabilities to improve the flow of healthcare information.

Community Health Center, Inc.’s Chief Quality Officer Receives Primary Care Leadership Award

Community Health Center, Inc.’s Chief Quality Officer Receives Primary Care Leadership Award

Middletown, CT (November 22, 2013) – At the 6th Annual Primary Care Summit, hosted by the Connecticut Center for Primary Care on November 21, 2013, Community Health Center, Inc.’s (CHC) Chief Quality Officer, Dr. Daren Anderson, was presented with the Primary Care Leadership Award for his exemplary leadership in quality improvement in primary care. Dr. Anderson, a board –certified internist, joined the staff of CHC in September 1998 and served as a primary care provider and chief medical officer before…

Read More Read More

An Insight to the Rewards to Quit Research Study

An Insight to the Rewards to Quit Research Study

This blog post was written by Bridget Teevan, the HealthCorps member who is working directly with the Rewards to Quit research study. I first learned about the Rewards to Quit program when I was interviewing to join AmeriCorps here at CHC.  My first thoughts about a study that paid some people for going to counseling or taking breathalyzer tests to help them quit smoking was that it was innovative and had great potential.  Sure, there was potential for abuse—people could sign…

Read More Read More

11 Tips to Help SOMEONE Quit Smoking!

11 Tips to Help SOMEONE Quit Smoking!

In honor of the Great American Smokeout, a national day of smoking cessation awareness, I wanted to compile a list of tips for our staff to have access to. Whether or not you are considered a smoker, I believe that passing on this link to a family member, friend, or perhaps your email contact list, can potentially make a positive impact. Know why you want to quit: To get motivated, you need a powerful, personal reason to quit. Maybe you want to protect your family from secondhand…

Read More Read More

A NEW SPIN ON SMOKING CESSATION FOR PATIENTS

A NEW SPIN ON SMOKING CESSATION FOR PATIENTS

Tomorrow marks the American Cancer Society’s Great American Smokeout, a national day of smoking cessation awareness. Worldwide, tobacco use causes more than 5 million deaths per year, and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 65% of smokers want to quit, they are just unsuccessful. On October 7th, The Community Health Center’s Weitzman Quality Institute (WQI) launched the Rewards to quit…

Read More Read More