Registered Dietitian Profile – Heather Peracchio
March is National Nutrition Month. To celebrate, we’ll be posting profiles of all of CHC’s fantastic Registered Dietitians. First up, Heather Peracchio!
– What inspired you to become a Registered Dietitian?
I’ve always enjoyed science, math, healthcare, cooking and grocery shopping. In college I learned that by becoming a Registered Dietitian I could combine my love for all of those things!
– What’s your favorite food?
Tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil
– Can you briefly describe your favorite recipe?
Slow cooker lentil soup: 1.5 cups lentils, 2 carrots 2 celery stalks and 1 onion all diced, 6 cups water/broth and parsley. Cook 6 hours on low. Cost $2!
– What is one general tip you would give to someone looking to improve their diet?
Eat more fruits and vegetables. Science and research shows that by eating two cups of fruit and three cups of vegetables a day we may be able to reduce the risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease and obesity. They truly are nature’s fast foods!
– If you were stranded on an island, what is one food/beverage you’d want unlimited supply of?
– What does National Nutrition Month mean to you?
It is near and dear to my heart. I served as the state chair the past two years and I was on the committee the past 6 years. It’s a time for me to share my love of nutrition and spread the NNM theme.
– What’s the best part of your job?
Helping people learn to enjoy eating healthy food and learn that eating well can be done on a budget.