Browsed by
Month: October 2012

Dr. Joseph Smith Chief Medical Officer of West Health Institute

Dr. Joseph Smith Chief Medical Officer of West Health Institute

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Joseph Smith,Chief Science and Medical Officer of the West Health Institute who discusses the Institute’s work to accelerate the development of wireless health technologies to better target solutions to unmet medical needs. Dr. Smith also discusses the Institute’s efforts in driving national policies that will spur reform and innovation in health care.

Up on the Rooftop at CHC

Up on the Rooftop at CHC

During the summer months, the rooftop at 675 Main Street provided a place for local students and community members to routinely visit the unique garden paradise while tending to their own vegetable and herb plants. Fall has arrived and the rooftop is expanding its community programming to now include weekly tours open to the public and Friday movie night for Macdonough students throughout October. Starting last Thursday, October 4, CHC has been promoting Rooftop garden tours open to anyone and…

Read More Read More

New HealthCorps Navigator Profile – Grace Capreol

New HealthCorps Navigator Profile – Grace Capreol

Meet Grace Capreol, a new HealthCorps Navigator serving as an Emerging Technologies Coordinator at CHC! Can you tell us a bit about your educational background?   – I studied Exercise Science at the University of Delaware for two years, but transferred to the University of Connecticut and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Allied Health Science.   What about joining CHC most excites you?   – The opportunity to serve in and learn about the varying aspects of health care…

Read More Read More

Prudence Crandall’s “Silent No More” Candlelight Vigil

Prudence Crandall’s “Silent No More” Candlelight Vigil

The following is a note from Martha Trevey about the Prudence Crandall’s “Silent No More” candlelight vigil: On Thursday evening I had the opportunity to attend Prudence Crandall’s “Silent No More” candlelight vigil. Prudence Crandall is one of WYA’s (Wherever You Are, CHC’s health care for the homeless program) community partners. Our WYA team travels to the center weekly to provide both acute and primary care to women and men in residence. The evening proved to be a meaningful gathering of…

Read More Read More

Susannah Fox, Director of Digital Strategy, Pew Internet and American Life Project

Susannah Fox, Director of Digital Strategy, Pew Internet and American Life Project

Mark and Margaret speak with Susannah Fox, Director of Digital Strategy at the Pew Internet and American Life Project. Ms. Fox has been analyzing the intersection of technology and health care for over a decade, focusing on the cultural shifts taking place in health care, specifically in the areas of mobile technology and chronic disease.

Flu Trends and Shots

Flu Trends and Shots

What are your chances of getting the flu this season?  It’s the sort of question many of us think about this time of year.  Being the geek that I am, I like to look at Google Flu Trends.  They have a graph of reported flu activity, based on Google searches.  They’ve found that certain searches can be a good indicator of actual flu activity. One thing that I find interesting about their data is that they have a graph of…

Read More Read More