Thank You to the Entire Special Project of National Significance (SPNS) Staff

Thank You to the Entire Special Project of National Significance (SPNS) Staff

The following is an email from CHC’s Director of HIV Services, Kasey Harding about the Special Project of National Significance (SPNS).

To Norwalk, Stamford and SPNS staffs,

Dr. Drozdowski – Maule and I would like to take this opportunity to express our deep gratitude to all of you for your hard work and dedication to the SPNS Program. It is hard to believe that five years ago, when CHCI was awarded the SPNS grant our Norwalk Smiles Day Street site did not exist and our Stamford site was still housed on the other side of town with three small operatories! Today we have achieved amazing results for the SPNS patients who entrusted their care to us. As the grant ends today I would like to share with you some of our accomplishments.

• 308 patients with HIV/AIDS received the exceptional dental care that only CHCI can provide.

• 5,036 clinical services were provided to SPNS patients (since January 2008).

• 1,432 ancillary services (transportation, meals) were provided to SPNS patients (since January 2008).

• 75 uninsured SPNS patients now receive some type of entitlement thanks to our determined Access to Care workers.

• 100% of SPNS patients are engaged in primary and HIV medical care.

Those results encompass the quantitative outcomes of our SPNS Programs. The qualitative results are even more remarkable.

•100% of SPNS patients report an overall improvement in their health as a result of receiving oral healthcare at CHCI.

• 201 patients who reported poor self esteem, poor self image or no desire to go out of their house because of their appearance feel better about their appearance after receiving dental care at CHCI.

• The words used by SPNS patients to describe the care at CHCI: Safe, warm, kind, excellent, in-tune with patients, right on, easy, exceptional, smooth, loving.

You have all contributed in your own way to the success of the SPNS Program and the truly unique care provided to the SPNS patients. I think it was significant that when SPNS patients were asked what they would change about service delivery their unanimous reply was NOTHING except to have the funding continue past the 5 year grant period.  The quality of dental care provided to our patients was outstanding.  We’d like to thank the clinical staff for their diligence, expert clinical care, and compassion. We would also like to give special thanks to Krystle Moore, our SPNS Dental Care Coordinator, and Harry Riley, our SPNS van driver, for their tireless efforts on behalf of our SPNS patients and their leadership in raising awareness about the SPNS Program. Dr. Drozdowski – Maule and I realize that as we attend national meetings and accept praise and accolades for the fine work accomplished with our SPNS Program, none of it would be possible without all of you. I think the impact of the SPNS Program is reflected best in a quote from a SPNS patient who was with the program for over three years.

“You walk in and these people act like you are a King. They don’t treat you like a disease or a burden, they treat you like you was as special as they are. For the first time in my life I feel like a normal human who is cared for the same as others if not more. These people….they just, you know, cared for me no matter how bad I thought I was. I will always remember this program and what they done for me and the people who hugged me and gave me dentures and fed me and gave me rides when I didn’t think I deserved anything.”

M. ~ SPNS Patient (2008-2011)

Thank you, again, for being a part of the SPNS Program and for helping to change the lives of people in desperate need!

Comments are closed.