Browsed by
Month: November 2016

Meet Mary Blankson, DNP, APRN, FNP-C

Meet Mary Blankson, DNP, APRN, FNP-C

During her junior year as a pre-med major at Tufts University near Boston, Mary Blankson realized she didn’t really want to be a doctor.  She met with an advisor and researched other opportunities found being a Family Nurse Practitioner really stood out to her. Upon graduation from Tufts, Mary was accepted into Yale University’s Graduate Entry Pre-Specialty Nursing Program on the Family Nurse Practitioner Track. When the time came to begin applying for nursing jobs, a classmate who was applying…

Read More Read More

Focusing on Primary and Preventive Care

Focusing on Primary and Preventive Care

Nicole Seagriff knew in high school that she wanted to be a nurse like the one who cared for and comforted her mother during treatment for breast cancer. When she got her nursing degree from Boston College, she went to work as a nurse in the intensive care unit at Yale-New Haven Hospital, caring for critically ill patients. “My patients were suffering from complications of high blood pressure, such as a heart attack or stroke.  They were losing limbs from…

Read More Read More

Extraordinary Care: Operations Manager Connects Homeless Patient with Long Lost Daughter

Extraordinary Care: Operations Manager Connects Homeless Patient with Long Lost Daughter

Today, Kai S. Perry, Operations Manager for our Meriden and Bristol sites sent the following email to our operations managers’ team explaining why she missed a meeting, and about what it really means to be an operations manager at CHC. Hello team I am sorry I missed our meeting today.  I had a patient who is a frequent flyer here who needed my assistance.  This man comes in and speaks to me daily.  I know his life story of being…

Read More Read More

Dr. Vindell Washington, National Coordinator for Health IT at HHS

Dr. Vindell Washington, National Coordinator for Health IT at HHS

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Vindell Washington, National Coordinator for Health IT at the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the agency’s program to shift the health care industry from paper to electronic health records. Dr. Washington discusses the agency’s strategic plan for advancing those goals and for accelerating the creation of universal standards for health information exchange and the promotion of interoperability.

Domestic Violence Awareness Month Recap

Domestic Violence Awareness Month Recap

During the month of October, New Horizons was the beneficiary of several fundraising events including the Jack and Jill Music Festival, the Knockout DV Event at 9Rounds, Game Show Night at the Board Room, and the Walk to End the Silence. The generosity of spirit from the community during this month of raising awareness about domestic violence is truly overwhelming.  It is true that it takes a village to raise a child.  It is also true that it takes a…

Read More Read More

Dr. Neel Shah, Founder of Costs of Care

Dr. Neel Shah, Founder of Costs of Care

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Neel Shah, Asst. Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Harvard Medical School and Founder of Costs of Care, a global NGO dedicated to helping delivery systems provide better care at lower costs. He’s also the co-author of “Understanding Value Based Care” which seeks to promote cost awareness in the medical profession, starting with medical school.