Browsed by
Month: September 2011

Dr. Nwando Olayiwola Recognized as One of 100 Buckeyes You Should Know

Dr. Nwando Olayiwola Recognized as One of 100 Buckeyes You Should Know

We regularly try to recognize some of the outstanding employees at the Community Health Center for the contributions they have made in helping build healthier communities.  Sometimes, they get recognized elsewhere as well, and today, we want to point out a recent recognition of our chief medical officer, that Dr. Nwando Olayiwola. Dr. Olayiwola attended Ohio State University and their alumni association has recently recognized her as one of 100 Buckeyes You Should Know.  Ohio State noted her many of…

Read More Read More

“Dancing in Pink”

“Dancing in Pink”

This weekend the Kate Theatre in Old Saybrook hosted a reflective concert on breast cancer called, “Dancing in Pink.” Lacey Byrne from Salix Productions put on the event. Lacey herself was one of the dancers in this beautiful performance. You see, last week I was searching for outreach events to attend where I could represent  CHC’s Early Detection Program for breast,cervical and colorectal cancer. I happened to stop for lunch at the It’s Only Natural (ION) Restaurant in Middletown, CT for…

Read More Read More

Dr. Linda McCauley, dean of the Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing at Emory University

Dr. Linda McCauley, dean of the Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing at Emory University

Conversations on Health Care focuses this week on green initiatives in health care. Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Linda McCauley, a renowned environmental health researcher and national leader on greener health care practices, about the impact of this movement on patients and communities as well as cost.

Clothes Drive in Danbury

Clothes Drive in Danbury

The following is a message from Amy Taylor about the Clothes Drive at the Danbury site on Monday and Tuesday of this week. We were set and ready to go by 8:30 and had people waiting (they had heard about it last week).  The turnout has been great. Sandy called a few families that have several kids and very much in need. They rushed down here and were very appreciative. We also had a patient, that lost many of her…

Read More Read More

AmeriCorps Members On The Beach: a Shoe, Rug, Toothbrush and More

AmeriCorps Members On The Beach: a Shoe, Rug, Toothbrush and More

On Saturday, a group of AmeriCorps members from the Community Health Center participated in in International Coastal Clean-up day.  Here is what Tasha Germain wrote about the day: On Saturday, some AmeriCorps members and I headed to Clinton Town Beach with Save the Sound to participate in International Coastal Clean-up day. People participated not only along the coast in CT and NY, but all over the world. We began at 9am with words of encouragement, plastic gloves, garbage bags, and…

Read More Read More

National Run@Work Day

National Run@Work Day

I truly love the autumn season, especially the transition from summer to fall, when you wake up to a crisp, bright morning…Friday morning was the first morning like that of the season and also the inaugural Walk/Run@Work event for CHC! A group of 12 of us (all women, surprisingly enough) gathered at the New Britain site at 7:15 this morning to start our day off on the right foot and celebrate National Run@Work Day, an event created by the Road…

Read More Read More