Browsed by
Month: August 2011

M. Gregg Bloche, author of The Hippocratic Myth

M. Gregg Bloche, author of The Hippocratic Myth

This week, Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with physician, attorney, and health policy expert Dr. M. Gregg Bloche about his new book, The Hippocratic Myth: Why Doctors Are Under Pressure to Ration Care, Practice Politics, and Compromise their Promise to Heal, in which he addresses the issues of rationing care and rising health care costs.

Fairfield County’s August Employee of the Month

Fairfield County’s August Employee of the Month

August’s Fairfield County Employee of the Month is Lucy Golding, nurse manager for the three sites. Lucy’s willingness to always support her staff and exceed expectations is what earned her this award. From reaching out to community groups, to ensuring that Danbury, Stamford and Norwalk are all in compliance with Joint Commission requirements, Lucy has continually shown her commitment to CHC and to maintaining the highest standard of care for patients and fellow employees. Fairfield County is fortunate to have…

Read More Read More

Managing Chronic Diseases

Managing Chronic Diseases

Last week, our Chief Medical Officer, Dr. J. Nwando Olayiwola spoke with at the Middlesex County NAACP Branch’s general membership meeting.  Her topic was “Chronic Diseases and Self Management”.  She spoke about chronic diseases as a national problem, accounting for 7 out of 10 deaths in Americans each year.  50% of deaths each year come from heart disease, cancer and strokes.  Almost 50% of adults have at least one chronic disease. While some aspects of chronic diseases are out of…

Read More Read More

A Beautiful Friday Morning in August

A Beautiful Friday Morning in August

It is a beautiful August Friday morning in Middletown.  The traffic seemed lighter than usual as I drove in this morning.  Perhaps I was just beating the morning traffic, or perhaps there are a lot of people taking the day off.  Next week, I’ll be out on vacation, and I’m in my pre-vacation frenzy.  I need to make sure that everything is set up and will be covered while I’m gone. This is compounded by several things going on at…

Read More Read More

Project ECHO

Project ECHO

It was like a cross between House and a video version of Car Talk for doctors with patients infected with Hepatitis C.  Instead of breaking into people’s apartments to find some hidden environmental  cause of a difficult to diagnose illness, a panel of experts at the University of New Mexico responded to questions from medical providers around the country, many in rural areas where it is hard to access doctors with Hepatitis C expertise. I connected our video conferencing system…

Read More Read More