Introducing a Seventh AmeriCorps Member!

Introducing a Seventh AmeriCorps Member!

This week we are pleased to introduce a Seventh AmeriCorps member, Julia Sisson! She is spending her year of service based with CHC’s ‘Wherever You Are’ program. Read on to learn more: 

Hi there! My name is Julia Sisson and I am in the outreach and SOAR case management position with Wherever You Are in Middlesex County. I’m originally from Tolland, Connecticut, but I’ve been away for the past four years studying Psychology and Studio Art at Smith College in Northampton, Mass. While at Smith, I worked in labs focusing on perfectionism and its effect on the development of psychopathology, and painted abstractions of food scraps through independent studio projects. I also watched way too much Mad Men than any person should ever consider in one sitting.

So far, my experience at the CHC has been overwhelmingly positive. I am immersed in my work with patients, and honestly believe I’ve found my calling in case management. I’m very excited to be broadening my experience with other Corps members while we educate and engage with the community. I’m also glad to be working one-on-one with clients; I think I’m getting the real-life skills to apply to my academic foundation.

I hope to apply the skills I’ve learned in school and at the CHC to a master’s program in social work. Once there, I’ll learn what I need to in order to work with patients in a clinical setting, and perhaps continue to teach the importance of social justice to clients and practitioners alike. I may also return to the community health care setting – the place where I first discovered my love of social work.

julia

Julia is pictured center left with her selfie game on point. 

Comments are closed.