Browsed by
Month: October 2011

Recognizing Pharmacists and Their Role in Patient Care

Recognizing Pharmacists and Their Role in Patient Care

The following is a guest post from Marissa Salvo, Pharm.D. Assistant Clinical Professor, University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy Clinical Pharmacist, Community Health Center, Inc. Meriden What does the slogan “Know Your MEDICINE, Know Your PHARMACIST” mean to you? Chances are, unless you were watching one of the early morning shows on October 6th, where pharmacists and student pharmacists shared its meaning on national TV, you never heard this slogan. This is the theme and core message of American Pharmacists…

Read More Read More

Local Macdonough Elementary Students Go on a Math Field Trip to CHC!

Local Macdonough Elementary Students Go on a Math Field Trip to CHC!

One of the most important things I have learned over my first two months of serving within the Community Health Center, Inc. is to always try and keep the community feeling like they have a sense of involvement. In Middletown, the construction of the new medical building is something that grabs your attention when you are passing through Main Street but sometimes people can forget amongst the bare structure and production, the sole purpose of the new building, which is…

Read More Read More

Food is Fantastic!

Food is Fantastic!

Most of us wake up each morning with several options of what we might choose to eat for breakfast. I know I do. I often say to myself,  “Will I make a green smoothie or have something warm and hearty like my tofu scramble with eggs, tomatoes and hash browns?” Either way, eating is not something I usually spend too much time thinking about each day. When I get hungry, I sit down and eat. I know that food is…

Read More Read More

Safe and Healthy Start to the New School Year!

Safe and Healthy Start to the New School Year!

October is coming to a close and the new school year feeling is fading into a sense of a routine.  Children are enjoying their new classes, fall sports and activities are well under way, and the excitement of Halloween is here. Costumes, parties, and of course, tons of sugary snacks and candy are among the joyful reasons of why Halloween is such a great holiday AND it is only days away. This year, the actual day of Halloween is on…

Read More Read More

It’s A Small World

It’s A Small World

The month of October continues to be a busy month for the Early Detection Program. On Saturday October 15th I had the opportunity to attend Dress Barn’s Annual Women’s Wellness Event.  Being a women’s clothing store, the employees were extremely involved in promoting breast cancer awareness during the month of October! I was happy to encounter a few women throughout the day that qualified for our program. Again, the EDP program is a grant program based at the Community Health…

Read More Read More

Paul Starr, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and professor of Sociology and Public Affairs at Princeton University

Paul Starr, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and professor of Sociology and Public Affairs at Princeton University

This week, Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Pulitzer Prize-winning author Paul Starr about his new book, Remedy and Reaction: The Peculiar American Struggle over Health Care Reform. Dr. Starr takes us through the complexities of the debate over health care in America, the history of health reform in America, and how the Affordable Care Act both fulfills and falls short of earlier reform efforts.