Monthly Archives: June 2011

Changes to Dental Coverage for Connecticut Adult Medicaid Patients

As the State of Connecticut works on balancing its budget, there are changes to the dental services that adult Medicaid patients can receive.  As an example, effective July 1st periodic oral exams and dental cleanings are now limited to once … Continue reading

Posted in Dental | Leave a comment

National HIV Testing Day Recap

Monday was National HIV Testing Day and last week there was an article in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report about the results of an expanded HIV Testing Initiative last year.  Approximately 20% of the estimated 1.2 million persons living with … Continue reading

Posted in HIV/AIDS | Leave a comment

Governor Gary R. Herbert of Utah

Conversations on Health Care focuses this week on Utah’s innovative health insurance exchange. Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Governor Gary Herbert about the creation of their exchange in 2007, why it’s unique and what lessons other states might … Continue reading

Posted in CHC Radio | Leave a comment

National HIV Testing Day

Today, my Facebook wall and my Twitter feed is full of reminders that today is National HIV Testing Day.  Last week, we provided testing at our sites in Meriden and New Britain.  Today we are providing testing at our site … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

#FF #NHTD

The title of this blog post might not make sense to people that don’t use Twitter a lot, so let me explain.  On Twitter, it is common to use a ‘hashtag’.  This is an abbreviation preceded by a pound sign … Continue reading

Posted in HIV/AIDS, Social Media | 1 Comment

The Nurse Practitioner Residency Program and the Future of Nursing

Earlier this week, I received an email from Kerry Bamrick about CHC’s Nurse Practitioner Residency program: On Thursday, June 16,, 2011 Margaret Flinter and I were invited to Princeton, NJ to attend New Jersey’s Regional Action Coalition Meeting.  New Jersey … Continue reading

Posted in Nursing, Residency Programs | 2 Comments

David Wessel, economics editor of the Wall Street Journal

Last Sunday, WNPR in Connecticut joined the family of stations carrying Conversations on Health Care.  The show continues to air on numerous other stations and be available on the CHCRadio website and iTunes.  I will continue to post new shows … Continue reading

Posted in CHC Radio | Leave a comment

Going Viral to Stop the Spread of a Virus

Last night, I received an email from our Chief Medical Office, Dr. J. Nwando Olayiwola concerning the National HIV Testing Day Chat Series on Twitter.  It is a weeklong set of chats with interesting speakers and an interesting set of … Continue reading

Posted in HIV/AIDS, Social Media | Leave a comment

Pneumocystis Pneumonia – A Community Response

Last Saturday, I received an email from our clinical director, Margaret Flinter sharing her reflections on 30 years of HIV.  It is a long, but very meaningful message, and I am posting it here in its entirety with her permission. … Continue reading

Posted in Employees, General, HIV/AIDS | Tagged | Leave a comment

June Employee of the Month

Adele Gordon awarded AmeriCorps member Juan Javier-Desloges with Fairfield County’s June Employee of the Month designation.  Juan was not available to receive the award at the staff meeting because he had to leave to start his first semester of medical … Continue reading

Posted in AmeriCorps, Employees | Leave a comment