Browsed by
Month: April 2011

Dr. Bernadette Thomas, DNP

Dr. Bernadette Thomas, DNP

It is with great joy that I share a blog post submitted by Margaret Flinter via her cellphone from Baltimore.  Thank you Margaret for submitting this:  Today Dr. Nwando Olayiwola and I came to Baltimore for the dissertation defense of Bernadette Thomas.  Bernadette is a family nurse practitioner and also our medical director at our CHC of Clinton site.  She is completing the doctor of nursing practice (DNP) at Johns Hopkins School of Nursing. Her dissertation is titled “Improving Blood…

Read More Read More

Dr. John Wennberg, the Peggy Y. Thomson Professor for the Evaluative Clinical Sciences at Dartmouth College.

Dr. John Wennberg, the Peggy Y. Thomson Professor for the Evaluative Clinical Sciences at Dartmouth College.

This week on Conversations on Health Care, Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. John Wennberg whose research for the past 40 years has focused on variations in health care around the country and its implications on the individual, the community and the health care system as a whole. Dr. Wennberg is the Peggy Y. Thomson Professor for the Evaluative Clinical Sciences at Dartmouth and founder and director of the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, home…

Read More Read More

Building Healthier Communities

Building Healthier Communities

It seems easy to get lost in the day to day details of building healthier communities.  Getting patients to eat healthier, get more exercise and regularly take their medications can take up all of our attention.  If we pause to look at bigger picture issues, it is likely to be about getting funding for badly needed new facilities and overseeing the construction of such facilities.  Yet there are other, underlying issues that need to be addressed.  Can we get patients…

Read More Read More

Beating the Boring Morning Meeting

Beating the Boring Morning Meeting

Few things can start the day, or the week off worse than a required routine monotonous morning meeting.  Maybe you’ve been to meetings like this yourself and you know how they go.  People drone on and on about things that no one else is really interested in.  It is just that there is an expectation that everyone will say something when no one wants to, or even prepares to speak.  Such meetings have been the bane of many of my…

Read More Read More

Social Cohesion and Healthy Communities

Social Cohesion and Healthy Communities

What is the role of social factors, such as income, work environment, social cohesion, food, and transportation systems, in determining the health risks of individuals?  This is a question asked in the Wesleyan University course catalog for Sociology 315 – The Health of Communities and today I received some information to help me find an answer to this. It started off with a series of emails sent from an iPhone containing clips of the Project Summaries presentation for this year’s…

Read More Read More

Dr. Alan Fleischman, medical director of the March of Dimes Foundation

Dr. Alan Fleischman, medical director of the March of Dimes Foundation

On this week’s, Conversations on Health Care, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Alan Fleischman, medical director of the March of Dimes Foundation, about improving maternal-child health, reducing premature births and eliminating disparities in birth outcomes. The Community Health Center has had a long relationship with the March of Dimes, especially with our efforts to bring CenteringPregnancy care to our patients. Yet our commitment to the March of Dimes goes much deeper.  On Sunday May 1, from 9 a.m. to…

Read More Read More