The Fifth AmeriCorps Member Introduction!

Today we are continuing with our series of introductions with another AmeriCorps member. Elena is spending her year here working with School Based Health Centers on a variety of educational and outreach activities. Learn more about her here:

My name is Elena Villafana. I went to Amherst College in the Pioneer Valley Region of Massachusetts. I studied history and took pre-med classes.  After living in the Pioneer Valley for four years I have become slightly obsessed with cider donuts. Hopefully they have them here in Connecticut as well. I am also slightly obsessed with the TV show Orphan Black. It’s a totally awesome science fiction show. SPOILER ALERT: Clones.

During my time at Amherst I studied abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark. I studied their health care system and compared it to the health care system in the United States and other Scandinavian countries. One of my favorite parts of studying abroad was trying different types of Scandinavian food. Things like pickled herring, shawarma (similar to a gyro), and a myriad of different types of sausage hotdogs kept my stomach happy.

I’m excited about working for CHC through Americorps. I think the CHC does great work giving back to the community specifically Middletown but also all around Connecticut. I am interested in going into the health care field so this year of service with the CHC is perfect. It will give me great experience in a unique environment.

Elena is pictured on the left with her Rugby game face on.

Sara Anderson

Published by
Sara Anderson

Recent Posts

An Environmental Psychiatrist Explains Earth Anxiety As We Celebrate Earth Day

As we mark Earth Day, we have just experienced the hottest March on record. But…

1 week ago

Why NIH’s Dr. Collins Accompanies Opera’s Renee Fleming in Highlighting Music & Mind’s Power

What happens when music therapists and neuroscientists team up? Patients win, says Dr. Francis Collins.…

2 weeks ago

Opera Superstar Renée Fleming & Experts Reveal How Music Can Make Us Healthier in New Book

Originally published April 9, 2024 She’s received worldwide praise for singing at the Super Bowl,…

3 weeks ago

Reporters’ Roundtable: Why Health Care Will Impact the Election—But to Whose Advantage?

Originally published April 4, 2024 It’s about seven months to election day and our regular…

4 weeks ago

Expanded Coverage of Weight Loss Drugs? Diabetes Advocates Say Yes

Originally published March 28, 2024 Medicare just announced that it will pay for weight loss…

1 month ago

Young Deaths from Colorectal Cancer Skyrocket as New Research Emerges

The recent death of former college football player Craig Roh from colon cancer at age…

1 month ago