Browsed by
Month: August 2012

Governor Howard Dean

Governor Howard Dean

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with former Vermont Governor and Democratic National Committee Chairman Dr. Howard Dean. Governor Dean talks about decades-old efforts in Vermont to reform health care, making it accessible and affordable for all citizens, and he shares his views on various aspects of the Affordable Care Act and the future of health reform.

Carl Schmid, Deputy Executive Director of the AIDS Institute

Carl Schmid, Deputy Executive Director of the AIDS Institute

This week, Mark and Margaret speak Carl Schmid, Deputy Executive Director of the AIDS Institute, and an AIDS policy analyst and activist. Mr. Schmid speaks with us from the recent AIDS 2012 Convention and talks about strides being made in containing the spread of HIV/AIDS as well as  the hope for further progress towards ending the epidemic and improving the lives of those living with HIV in the U.S. and around the world

Anne Marie Hart Visits CHC’s Nurse Practitioner Residency Program

Anne Marie Hart Visits CHC’s Nurse Practitioner Residency Program

Kerry Bamrick has shared the following photograph and information about a recent visit to our Nurse Practitioner Residency Program. Anne Marie Hart,PhD, FNP-BC visited from Wyoming and spent the day at our New Britain site learning more about our Nurse Practitioner Residency Program. Anne Marie conducted a survey and published an article on “How prepared new nurse practitioners are for practice“. We use the results of her survey and quote her article regularly, so it was an honor and pleasure to meet…

Read More Read More

Remembrances

Remembrances

A guest post from CHC’s President and CEO, Mark Masselli: While we are just a few months out from celebrating our 40th anniversary, we received sad news about the passing of two people who were very close to the Health Center. The first was Steve Buttner, Dean at Wesleyan University for the Class of 1974 and one of our earliest members of the initial Board of Directors. I attended a memorial service for Steve at the 92 theater at Wesleyan…

Read More Read More

Oh the Places We’ve Been

Oh the Places We’ve Been

On Monday, August 29, 2011, the new group of HealthCorps members starting at CHC was summoned by Charise DiPierro to ION for the first day of orientation.  I was completely on track to arriving on time, right at 9am but it was my first time being in Middletown in about 5 years and I quickly got lost. If you can understand the confusion of multiple buildings making up the one Middletown site of the Community Health Center, you can understand that I…

Read More Read More

A Passion for Advocacy

A Passion for Advocacy

During this particular week, staff of the Community Health Center, Inc. has been working harder than the average skyrocketing level of productivity to celebrate and promote National Community Health Center’s Week. With this year’s theme being “Celebrating America’s Health Centers: Powering Healthier Communities”, I felt the underlying topic of this special week fits perfectly with recent Member Partnership Award recipient, CHC psychiatrist, Dr. Velandy Manohar and his overwhelming efforts supporting underserved populations. Not only is Dr. Manohar a huge advocate of high…

Read More Read More