Categories: General

If It’s Good Enough for Google…

A few weeks ago, Margaret Flinter, Senior Vice President and Clinical Director of the Community Health Center, Inc. sent me an email suggesting that I ‘might really benefit from participating in’ the Stress Reduction Program that Beth Roth, MSN, runs at CHC.  I suspect she was suggesting a source of material about unique and interesting programs that CHC offers, perhaps, even a chance to meet some fascinating CHC patients, and not a commentary on whether I have been appearing stressed out.  Whatever the motivation, I’m glad that she made the suggestion.

In 1992, Beth Roth studied under Jon Kabat-Zinn and then brought his ideas of applying concepts of meditation into health care to CHC.  With a brief hiatus, she has been offering this program here ever since, and some people come back year after year.  So, in preparation, I did a little research, and found a video of Jon Kabat-Zinn speaking about his work to a group of people at Google.

It is a long video, but when you can make some time, you should watch it.  What I found especially interesting is that Google has a mindfulness based stress reduction program.   I figure if it is good enough for Google Employees, it just might be good enough for CHC patients.

So, this morning, I went to one of CHC’s sessions.  I had a couple good chats with other participants and have come away with a lot to think about, research, and hopefully write more about.

I’m still not sure exactly which benefits Margaret thought I would get from the stress reduction program, but it seems as if there are plenty to be had.

Sofia Dupi

Published by
Sofia Dupi
Tags: stress

Recent Posts

Can Health Care Policy Take a Page from Recent Bipartisan Efforts?

Originally broadcast on May 2, 2024 In the wake of recent bipartisan policy wins in…

4 days ago

An Environmental Psychiatrist Explains Earth Anxiety As We Celebrate Earth Day

As we mark Earth Day, we have just experienced the hottest March on record. But…

2 weeks ago

Why NIH’s Dr. Collins Accompanies Opera’s Renee Fleming in Highlighting Music & Mind’s Power

What happens when music therapists and neuroscientists team up? Patients win, says Dr. Francis Collins.…

3 weeks ago

Opera Superstar Renée Fleming & Experts Reveal How Music Can Make Us Healthier in New Book

Originally published April 9, 2024 She’s received worldwide praise for singing at the Super Bowl,…

4 weeks ago

Reporters’ Roundtable: Why Health Care Will Impact the Election—But to Whose Advantage?

Originally published April 4, 2024 It’s about seven months to election day and our regular…

1 month ago

Expanded Coverage of Weight Loss Drugs? Diabetes Advocates Say Yes

Originally published March 28, 2024 Medicare just announced that it will pay for weight loss…

1 month ago