Browsed by
Month: November 2016

Dr Anna Lembke, Author of “Drug Dealer MD, How Doctors Were Duped, Patients Got Hooked, and Why It’s So Hard To Stop”

Dr Anna Lembke, Author of “Drug Dealer MD, How Doctors Were Duped, Patients Got Hooked, and Why It’s So Hard To Stop”

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Anna Lembke, Chief of Addiction Medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine, and author of Drug Dealer MD, How Doctors Were Duped, Patients Got Hooked, and Why It’s So Hard To Stop.  She examines the dramatic rise in opioid prescriptions and overdoses and the role the health care industry is playing in this crisis.

Dr. Keith Yamamoto, Vice Chancelor for Science Policy and Strategy at UC San Francisco

Dr. Keith Yamamoto, Vice Chancelor for Science Policy and Strategy at UC San Francisco

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Keith Yamamoto, Vice Chancellor for Science Policy and Strategy and Executive Vice Dean for Research at the School of Medicine at UC San Francisco. He discusses strategies for informing the incoming Trump administration – to ensure ongoing support for the nation’s biomedical research community, the need to advance precision medicine protocols and goals, and improvements needed to advance medical training and academic research in the 21st century.

Why am I Still Here after 10 years?

Why am I Still Here after 10 years?

Many years ago I joined forces with Dr. Iden, who had been practicing in the small town (pop. 3000) of Berryville, Virginia. He had been practicing over 40 yeas at the age of 70.  The office was a wonderful relic of the “golden Age” of medicine. A true PCMH…..The staff knew everyone, there were no appointments except for physicals. If the waiting room was full in the morning you came back after lunch. If you were too sick to come…

Read More Read More

Giving Back to the Community that Opened its Arms to My Family

Giving Back to the Community that Opened its Arms to My Family

Paulina Miklosz, nurse practitioner at CHC of New Britain, remembers the first time she came to the clinic in 1997.  “I was eight years old,” said Miklosz, whose family had just emigrated from Poland. She remembers the receptionist who spoke to her in Polish, the nurse who also spoke Polish and the translator who helped her communicate with pediatrician Robert Dudley during the physical exam. “It was so reassuring to hear someone speaking our language,” said Miklosz. Miklosz was drawn…

Read More Read More

Committed to Healthcare for Young People

Committed to Healthcare for Young People

Leah Lucarelli found her career in fifth grade, while helping her pediatrician aunt in the office during school vacations.  “She let me take height and weight measurements, and I fell in love with primary care for kids.” As nurse practitioner for CHC’s school-based health care program, she cares for youngsters in Macdonough elementary and Keigwin middle schools. “My role is to help my patients stay healthy and stay in school.  I love teaching them about their heath and taking care…

Read More Read More

Health Policy Challenges President-Elect Trump Must Face

Health Policy Challenges President-Elect Trump Must Face

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Robert Blendon, Director of the Harvard Opinion Research Program at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health about health opinions that will challenge the Trump administration in establishing health policy. Dr. Blendon discusses how differing opinions regarding health care will shape the administration’s health policy agenda moving forward.