Browsed by
Month: September 2016

Worlds Collide: The legality and psychology of intimate partner violence

Worlds Collide: The legality and psychology of intimate partner violence

A man in Minnesota, Long Vang, has been charged with third-degree murder, second-degree manslaughter, and stalking after his ex-girlfriend, Jessica Haban, committed suicide. These charges are unprecedented both in Minnesota and across the country. As a Clinical Psychologist with a Forensic sub-specialty and Director of Domestic Violence, Research and Education at a FQHC, I will be following this case with a close eye and heavy heart. This couple was ‘culturally married’ in 2010 and shared two children. One of Mr….

Read More Read More

Dr. John Ioannidis, Co-Director of the Meta-Research Innovation Center, Stanford

Dr. John Ioannidis, Co-Director of the Meta-Research Innovation Center, Stanford

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. John Ioannidis, Professor in Disease Prevention at the Stanford University School of Medicine, and Co-Director of the Meta-Research Innovation Center at Stanford, where his team is working on developing improved evidence based research protocols across multiple scientific and medical disciplines.

Maternal and Infant Early Childhood Home Visiting Program

Maternal and Infant Early Childhood Home Visiting Program

Hi everyone- My name is Susan Brule. Most parents have wondered at one time or another why kids don’t come with an instruction booklet. As program director for CHC’s Maternal and Infant Early Childhood Home Visiting Program, I like to say we just might be the next best thing.  I work with new moms or moms-to-be and their significant others in Meriden, Wallingford, Middletown and Waterbury and some small surrounding towns to support the growing family with educational materials, developmental…

Read More Read More

Dr. Vikas Saini, President of the Lown Institute

Dr. Vikas Saini, President of the Lown Institute

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Vikas Saini, cardiologist and President of the Lown Institute, which is dedicated to improving the health care system. They discuss the Institute’s mission of doing “more for patients, by doing less” as well as the Right Care Alliance initiative which seeks to promote the elimination of waste in the health care system. mutemax volume

Dr. Martin Makary, Patient Safety Advocate and Surgeon at Johns Hopkins

Dr. Martin Makary, Patient Safety Advocate and Surgeon at Johns Hopkins

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Martin Makary, chief of pancreatic surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital, and internationally recognized patient safety expert. Dr. Makary discusses his recent study indicating medical errors are the third leading cause of death in this country, the need for better patient safety metrics, as well as a “transparency revolution” in health care.