Browsed by
Month: July 2016

Dr. Anil Jain, Co-Founder and Senior VP of Explorys

Dr. Anil Jain, Co-Founder and Senior VP of Explorys

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Anil Jain, Co-Founder, Senior VP and Medical Director of Explorys, a cloud-based health data storage and data analytics platform recently acquired by IBM to help form the Watson Health Division. Dr. Jain discusses the platform he developed while at Cleveland Clinic, designed to drive quality and research through better use of information from electronic health records, and how Watson Health will use this system to scale up medical research…

Read More Read More

Jeff Williams, Chief Operating Officer of Apple

Jeff Williams, Chief Operating Officer of Apple

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Jeff Williams, Chief Operating Officer of Apple. Mr. Williams is in charge of the tech giant’s entire distribution chain and is overseeing Apple’s foray into health care with the development of the Apple Watch, Apple HealthKit and ResearchKit, which are aimed at simplifying health and medical research by leveraging participation from Apple’s 700 million users around the globe.

The Proverbial Pie in the Sky

The Proverbial Pie in the Sky

As I settle into my new role as Director of Domestic Violence, Research and Education at CHC, one of my first tasks is to further familiarize myself with the current landscape of the world of intimate partner violence, and more specifically, the relationship between IPV and primary care.   I began by familiarizing myself with the current state here at CHC, and then expanded outward, collecting and reviewing the scientific literature to determine the current national landscape.  I sifted through the…

Read More Read More

Pokémon Go: In, Near, and Around the Health Center

Pokémon Go: In, Near, and Around the Health Center

The new Pokémon GO game, based off of the popular card game, has launched and people can’t seem to get enough of it. My Facebook and Twitter feeds have been inundated with posts from people playing the game and it instantly piqued my interest. I decided to download the game to see what all the hype was about. I didn’t do too much with the game until today, when the health benefits and potential risks of the game came up…

Read More Read More

Larry Smarr, Director California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology

Larry Smarr, Director California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Larry Smarr, Founding Director of the California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology. A physicist and computer scientist, Dr. Smarr discusses his pioneering research in the “quantified self” movement, outlining efforts to quantify all of his genomic and biomedical information to discover new ways to predict and prevent human disease.

Raj Chetty, PhD, Professor of Public Economics at Stanford University

Raj Chetty, PhD, Professor of Public Economics at Stanford University

This week, Hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Raj Chetty, PhD, MacArthur Fellow and Professor of Public Economics at Stanford University, who’s much-lauded research focuses on the impact of zip code on health and economic outcomes. Dr Chetty is lead author on a recent study confirming the widening gap in life expectancy between the poor and the wealthy.