Browsed by
Month: February 2015

A Point In Time to Recognize the Homeless Population

A Point In Time to Recognize the Homeless Population

On February 18th, myself and two other AmeriCorps members grabbed our flashlights, put on some extra layers, and stayed out late to participate in the annual Point in Time Count in New Britain. Point in Time, a national initiative from the Department of Housing and Urban Development, aims to count the number of sheltered and unsheltered homeless individuals in the coldest nights of winter to understand our ability to provide shelter to the nation’s homeless. In Connecticut, the program is…

Read More Read More

Introducing a 10th Americorps Member!

Introducing a 10th Americorps Member!

This week we are pleased to introduce Kelly Ann! She joined CHC as an Americorps member this fall and is serving with the Diabetic Retinopathy program, but also active in other Americorps projects including Recess Rocks. Read her introduction below: Hello! I’m KellyAnn, an Americorps member with the diabetic retinopathy program. Originally, I’m from Guilford, Connecticut, where I currently reside…. I still live at home. You try living somewhere else on this stipend. 😉 I recently graduated from Wesleyan University,…

Read More Read More

Give Kids a Smile Kick Off 2015

Give Kids a Smile Kick Off 2015

The American Dental Association began the Give Kids a Smile Day (GKAS) program in 2002 during the month of February, which is National Children’s Dental Health Movement. Beth Kilian the Program Manager of Mobile Dental Services stressed the Community Health Center’s significant role in the celebration. It offers patients with HUSKY insurance and non – insurance based patients with the opportunity for free dental care for children. Our kickoff event began in our Meriden location on February 6th  with many children…

Read More Read More

Competing to Provide Quality Service

Competing to Provide Quality Service

As snow piles up, day after day, for some of us, it can become just a struggle to get to work, but the snow hasn’t buried the spirit of two of CHC’s Patient Service Associates.  In the midst of high call volume, a friendly competition developed between Luis Gomez-Arroyo and Crystal Martinez, about who could provide the best quality service to the most patients calling CHC. Last week, Luis handled 99 calls in one day, and when Crystal heard about…

Read More Read More

Dr. Sherine Gabriel, Dean of the Mayo Medical School at the Mayo Clinic

Dr. Sherine Gabriel, Dean of the Mayo Medical School at the Mayo Clinic

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Sherine Gabriel, Dean of the Mayo Medical school at the prestigous Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, as well as a new medical school to be opened in Arizona. Dr. Gabriel talks about shifting their patient-centered medical training to incorporate 21st century needs including genomics, social determinants of health and prevention.

John Nosta, Digital Health Futurist, President of Nostalab

John Nosta, Digital Health Futurist, President of Nostalab

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with John Nosta, founder and president of Nostalab, a digital health think tank. Mr. Nosta, is also a member of the Google Health Advisory Board and looks at the coming digital health trends, nanotechnology and genomics that are going to transform health outcomes of the future, as well as the growing role tech giants like Google and Apple are poised to play.