Browsed by
Month: October 2014

Food Day 2014, Join us for the Apple Crunch!

Food Day 2014, Join us for the Apple Crunch!

Friday October 24th is the 4th annual National Food Day!  It is a day that encourages Americans to eat healthier by inspiring changes in their own diets and the country’s food policies.  Thousands of events around the country to bring people together to celebrate and enjoy real food. To commemorate Food Day this year Community Health Center, Inc. is participating in the ‘Apple Crunch!’  It is a fun event taking place across the country in which the individuals all come…

Read More Read More

Weitzman Weekly

Weitzman Weekly

Spotlight: Journal Club So you’ve heard of book clubs but what about journal clubs? Earlier this year, the Weitzman Institute’s Director of Research and Evaluation, Ianita Zlateva started a journal club for Community Health Center, Inc. Journal Club has been ramping up since its official start in early August. I sat down with Bridget Teevan, the current coordinator of Journal Club to learn more. My Phuong: What is journal club? Bridget: Journal Club is a monthly gathering that occurs through…

Read More Read More

Talking to Children about Ebola

Talking to Children about Ebola

The following is a message from Dr. Tim Kearney, Chief Behavioral Health Officer here at CHC about how to talk with children about Ebola, adapted to the blog. All of us as parents and those who work with children wish that we could protect them from the knowledge of the tragedies that occur in the world around them and from the impact that this knowledge has on them. Unfortunately we cannot; especially in this age of constant news feeds and social…

Read More Read More

Dr. Jacquelyn Campbell, National Program Director, RWJF Nurse Faculty Scholars

Dr. Jacquelyn Campbell, National Program Director, RWJF Nurse Faculty Scholars

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Jacquelyn Campbell, Anna D. Wolf Chair of Nursing at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and National Program Director of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars. She discusses the Danger Assessment and Lethality Assessment tools she developed to assist clinicians, patients and law enforcement dealing with domestic violence issues.

The Third AmeriCorp Member Introduction!

The Third AmeriCorp Member Introduction!

This week we are introducing a third Community Health Corps AmeriCorps member serving with Community Health Center in Danbury this year, Priti! Read her introduction below: My name is Priti Shah, and I am partnered with Community Health Center (CHC) for the upcoming year to promote Access to Care and Wherever You Are programs in Danbury, Connecticut. I am from Sumter, South Carolina and attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. After graduating with degrees in Biology and Spanish,…

Read More Read More

The Power of Knowledge to Save Nutrition

The Power of Knowledge to Save Nutrition

Nutrition and proper dieting plays a huge role in our lives on a daily basis whether we consciously think about it or we don’t. It can help with a slew of different medical issues in today’s society. Proper nutrition can help a large amount of health issues ranging from medical conditions pertaining to heart disease, obesity, cancers, and other issues that plague us today. Most people don’t realize the magnitude of how a healthy diet can affect even something as…

Read More Read More