Browsed by
Month: October 2014

Introducing a Second Nurse Practitioner Resident!

Introducing a Second Nurse Practitioner Resident!

This week we are pleased to introduce a second Family Nurse Practitioner Resident, Jacqueline Brysacz who is based out of the New London site this year. Read about what lead her to the residency program and more below:  I am delighted to join CHC as a member of the 2014-2015 Family Nurse Practitioner residency.  I recently completed my training at Johns Hopkins University where I earned an FNP/MPH with a focus on infectious disease.  As a graduate student I worked…

Read More Read More

Dr. Martin Kohn, Chief Scientific Officer of Jointly Health

Dr. Martin Kohn, Chief Scientific Officer of Jointly Health

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Martin Kohn, Chief Medical Scientist for Jointly Health, and recent Chief Medical Scientist at IBM Research, which oversaw the development of the supercomputer Watson for Healthcare. Dr. Kohn discusses the promise for the transformation of health care through the growth of Patient Centered Medical Homes as well as developing new platforms which coalesce big data from multiple sources to improve health outcomes.

Knock Out Domestic Violence!

Knock Out Domestic Violence!

As you may know October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, intending to shed light on the struggle that effects thousands of American families every day. Community Health Center Inc operates New Horizons, a domestic violence shelter and resource center, in Middletown which serves families throughout the region. On Saturday October 4th, New Horizons held a very successful fundraiser in conjunction with 9Rounds kickbox fitness in Middletown.  At the event participants pledged money per ’round’ of the 9Rounds workout, and they…

Read More Read More

Weitzman Weekly

Weitzman Weekly

Spotlight: Khushbu Khatri This week, I had the chance to speak with the first ever AmeriCorps member to serve at the Weitzman Institute (WI). Some may know Khushbu Khatri from her involvement in a multitude of projects but few are fortunate enough to know the woman behind the work. Though she started from the bottom as an AmeriCorps member, she is here now as a vital employee of the WI research team. As she reflects on her experiences as an AmeriCorps member…

Read More Read More

Protect Yourself this Flu Season: Learn More About the Vaccine

Protect Yourself this Flu Season: Learn More About the Vaccine

What You Need to Know about the 2014-2015 Flu Season Prepared by: Mary Kovacevic, PharmD Candidate, Class of 2015 University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy Reviewed by: Marissa Salvo, PharmD, BCACP Assistant Clinical Professor University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy   1.What is the flu vaccine? The flu vaccine protects against the three or four strains of flu virus that research indicates will be the most common during the upcoming flu season. Most vaccines are administered via a shot while…

Read More Read More

The Fourth AmeriCorps Member Introduction!

The Fourth AmeriCorps Member Introduction!

Continuing in our series of weekly introductions, we are introducing My Phuong this week! She is an AmeriCorps member serving at the Weitzman Institute, who you may recognize as the writer bringing us the Weitzman Weekly. Read her introduction below: Hello! My name is My Phuong and I am from the state of Washington. I recently graduated from Colby College, a small liberal arts school in Waterville, ME. It was there that I received my BA in Biology (Cell and Molecular…

Read More Read More