Farewell, EDP!

Farewell, EDP!

The end of July marks the final days of my 11-month service term with the Early Detection Program here at the Community Health Center, Inc. This meaningful year with EDP has not only taught me the importance of preventative medicine, but has shown me the potency of empowering and engaging our patient population.

When I arrived at the Community Health Center, Inc., a new college graduate eager for my first AmeriCorps training, I could have never imagined the depth of experiences that this year of service would afford me. The public health classes I took as an undergraduate had only touched the surface of issues such as social determinants of health, and the importance of health education. From my very first health fair, to interpreting for patients at the 2014 CT Mission of Mercy free dental clinic, my fellow HealthCorps Navigators and I were working in the field, getting a first-hand account of the obstacles our patient population faced in not only obtaining healthcare, but utilizing it efficiently.

I feel incredibly thankful to have been a part of EDP, under the guidance of Nicole Jarjura-Morgan, LPN, EDP Program Manager. The incredible rapport that the program has established with its patients is a direct result of Nicole’s compassion and tireless efforts to advocate for them. During my time with EDP, I was able to watch the program grow and reach more patients throughout the state. As I pass the baton to the next AmeriCorps member, I know that the program will continue to flourish.

Comments are closed.