Who are you, Shannon Bali?

Who are you, Shannon Bali?

Who are you? Tell me something interesting about yourself.

My name is Shannon Bali; I was born and raised in Connecticut and I love all things New England, including the humidity in the summer and ten-foot snow drifts in the winter. I recently graduated from the UConn School of Social Work with my Master’s degree and a focus in Community Organization and International Issues in Social Work. I spent my last semester of school in Guatemala where I worked as an organizer with indigenous Mayan communities.  I have an adorable two-year-old niece named Adeline who is dressing up as Minnie Mouse for Halloween tonight. As for myself, I will be sporting an orange sweater in honor of the holiday and handing out candy to the trick-or-treaters in my family’s neighborhood.

What is your position here at the Community Health Center? How will it better facilitate your futures plans and goals professionally?

I am an Outreach and Eligibility Associate working with our uninsured patients and community members to help them obtain medical coverage under the new health care law. As a macro social worker, this position is a great mix of organizing community events and working one-on-one with patients. It has been an amazing learning experience to understand how current health care policies are affecting people and what we can do at CHC to create our own inclusive policies and programs to improve the quality of life for our patients.

What are 3 high priority things still left on your bucket list?

1. Going to Györ, Hungary where my father is from.
  2. Becoming fluent in Spanish.
  3. Learning to fly a plane.

What is your favorite quick meal to make? What is the recipe?

Potato Leek Soup, a staple for the Irish side of my family!

Ingredients:

4 tbsp butter

1 onion, chopped

3 leeks, sliced

2 potatoes (I use russet potatoes), but into ¾ inch cubes

3.5 cups vegetable stock

salt and pepper

1. Melt the butter in a very large sauce pan over medium heat (sometimes I find it easier to split into two saucepans), and add the onion, leeks, potatoes, and sauté gently for 2-3 minutes, until soft, not brown. Pour in veggie stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Leeks and potatoes should be smooth enough to blend.
  2. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until smooth.
  3. Return the mixture to the saucepan and reheat. Add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!

At what department store would you like to max-out your credit card? Why?

EMS because I love the great outdoors!

What is the #1 song on your musical devise currently?

Artist: Grouplove

Title: News to Me

Comments are closed.