“Exception Women” Group – Resources

“Exception Women” Group – Resources

I want to share with you one of the resources we’ve been using in my “Exceptional Women”, (Living with Chronic Illness) group.  There is a wonderful book by J.S. Dorian called “Above and Beyond; 365 Meditations for Transcending Chronic Pain and Illness” ( 2012).  What sold me about this book when I first discovered it on amazon.com, was the page for January 1, in which the author writes:

“The only journey is the one within.” Rainer Maria Rilke

The words healing and curing are often used interchangeably, although they have separate and distinct meanings.  Many of us have had to swallow the bitter reality that for now there is no cure for our condition.  However, we can always be healed, through our own efforts or with the help of others.

What do we mean by healing, and how does it differ from curing?  In the context of chronic illness, healing relates primarily to one’s inner being, to the ways we strive to achieve healthy attitudes as well as personal and spiritual growth.  As we progress in these areas, we can gain a positive perspective on our illness, our physical limitations and, indeed, on all of the dramatic changes that have taken place in our lives.

Inner healing can move us from resentment and self-pity to faith and acceptance.  The healing process allows us to transcend our fears, to nurture hope, and to face adversity with serenity.

The essence of healing is self-acceptance, through which we affirm our wholeness no matter what our physical condition or how remote the possibility of cure.

Thought for Today:  I will be healed.

I hope you enjoyed this reading as much as I did.  Please feel free to comment, and check back again for more updates.

Comments are closed.