Browsed by
Month: August 2013

Dr. Rishi Manchanda, Founder and President of HealthBegins

Dr. Rishi Manchanda, Founder and President of HealthBegins

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Rishi Manchanda, Founder and President of HealthBegins, an online portal to link “upstreamists” – health clinicians working on solving the social and environmental determinants of health. He discusses his new book, The Upstream Doctors, in which he promotes a movement to develop a national force of “upstream” medical professionals dedicated to transforming health care at its source, where patients live, work and play. 

2013 Nurse Pratitioner Residency & Post Doc Residency Graduation

2013 Nurse Pratitioner Residency & Post Doc Residency Graduation

“Summer’s almost over and I’m crying and I don’t know why…” The lyrics of Cheryl Wheeler’s song echo in my head as I think about CHC’s NP Residency and Post Doc Residency Graduation Ceremony last night.  It has been a great summer for CHC and our residents. Our Clinical Director, Margaret Flinter, often speaks of the residency program as ‘hardening off’ newly graduated Nurse Practitioners.  Non-gardeners may misunderstand what this means. One article about hardening plants puts it this way,…

Read More Read More

Dr. Kavita Patel, Brookings Institution and Bipartisan Policy Center

Dr. Kavita Patel, Brookings Institution and Bipartisan Policy Center

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Kavita Patel, Managing Director of Delivery System Reform and Clinical Transformation at the Brookings Institution, and Co-Chair of the Bipartisan Policy Center’s Health Professional Workforce Initiative. Dr. Patel discusses their recently released reports which examine the need for better national planning strategies for projecting health care work force needs in the future

Welcome to “Exceptional Women; Living with Chronic Illness”

Welcome to “Exceptional Women; Living with Chronic Illness”

Hello, My name is Jana Noyes.  I’m a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist working at the CHC Groton and New London sites.  I have a group I call “Exceptional Women”, which is made up of women living with a variety of chronic illnesses.  We’re starting a new section of the CHC blog to share information and resources.  Please check back regularly to see our posts!

SONO Day Out

SONO Day Out

Saturday’s SONO Day Out was a HUGE success. The park was full of families enjoying face painting, hula hoop contests, basketball, soccer, kickball, sack races, bouncy house jumping, and balloon animals. The Police Department kept everyone well fed and entertained with music from Cox radio. As special thanks to the Zumba and Yoga instructors, who were able to encourage many people to get moving and stretching. The fair ended with the Police Department bringing the Fire Department to the ground…

Read More Read More

Aaron Smith, co-founder and Executive Director of Young Invincibles

Aaron Smith, co-founder and Executive Director of Young Invincibles

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Aaron Smith, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Young Invincibles, a non-profit working to give young adults a voice in the political process. Mr. Smith discusses their impact on provisions in the Affordable Care Act affecting the “millennial” population and their national efforts to encourage young adults to participate in the Insurance Exchanges.