Browsed by
Month: June 2013

Remarks on CHC’s Family Wellness Centers – Ruthie Tallents

Remarks on CHC’s Family Wellness Centers – Ruthie Tallents

The piece below was written by Ruthie Tallents, the HealthCorps Navigator serving at CHC’s Family Wellness Center in New Britain. The end of June will mark 10 months that I’ve been with the New Britain Family Wellness Center at Community Health Center, Inc.  As my time as a HealthCorps Navigator comes to a close, I find myself reflecting on the short but meaningful time I’ve spent here.  The quantity and quality of supplementary programs that CHC offers its patients and…

Read More Read More

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, Chair of Medical Ethics and Health Policy, UPenn

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, Chair of Medical Ethics and Health Policy, UPenn

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, Vice Provost for Global Initiatives and chair of medical ethics and health policy at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Emanuel served as special advisor for health policy for the Obama Administration assisting in the formulation of the Affordable Care Act and discusses the law’s potential impact on population health .

6th Annual Mission of Mercy a Big Success!

6th Annual Mission of Mercy a Big Success!

The following piece was written by Kiran Narain, the HealthCorps Navigator serving in CHC’s Mobile Dental Program. She’ll be attending Dental School in the fall!      Last weekend, the HealthCorps Navigators volunteered for the 6th annual free dental clinic, Mission of Mercy (CT-MOM).  This year, the two-day clinic was hosted in Bridgeport at the Webster Bank Arena on June 7th-8th to serve the underserved and uninsured.  Volunteers began the extensive set-up two days prior to the clinic where the arena…

Read More Read More

Dr. Harold P. Freeman, Founder and CEO of the Patient Navigator Institute

Dr. Harold P. Freeman, Founder and CEO of the Patient Navigator Institute

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Harold P. Freeman, Founder and CEO of the Patient Navigator Institute. Dr. Freeman discusses his pioneering work in the patient navigation movement, which seeks to reduce health disparities by using specially trained patient navigators to assist the underserved population in removing barriers to care.

Patrick Miller, Founder of the APCD Council

Patrick Miller, Founder of the APCD Council

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Patrick Miller, MPH, founder of the All-Payer Claims Database Council at the University of New Hampshire’s Institute for Health Policy and Practice. Mr. Miller discusses the APCD Council’s focus on improving the development and deployment of state-run claims databases which provide health information that can be used to improve access to quality healthcare while reducing costs.

June is Men’s Health Month

June is Men’s Health Month

The remarkably warm weather late last week welcomed in the month of June, and with that a very important awareness observance. June is Men’s Health Month, a nationwide effort to remind men of all ages how critical it is that they regularly see a medical provider. Even men in great shape stand to benefit from developing an ongoing relationship with a primary care provider, as getting into the practice of proactively addressing one’s health can prevent the most minor…

Read More Read More