Browsed by
Month: April 2013

Vinnie’s Jump and Jive – Bidding Farewell to Josh Van Vliet

Vinnie’s Jump and Jive – Bidding Farewell to Josh Van Vliet

“I have heard so many times people say they love dancing at Vinnie’s because of the friendly, welcoming, inclusive community. That’s what it’s all about. The connections, relationships, and community that form through dancing are amazing. Social dance helps people connect in such a profound way, and one of my favorite parts of this work has been to help people connect through dance. “ –          Josh Van Vliet, Program Coordinator for Vinnie’s Jump and Jive  Since 2000, Vinnie’s Jump and…

Read More Read More

March for Babies in Middletown and New Britain!

March for Babies in Middletown and New Britain!

The following piece was written by Rachel Schindler, the HealthCorps Navigator serving as the Program Coordinator for Recess Rocks!      The sun’s been shining more frequently, the numbers are steadily climbing on the thermometer, and people are starting to spend more time outdoors. What better way to enjoy the beautiful spring weather, than to support a great cause!  Over the next few weeks, March of Dimes will be hosting their signature fundraising event, March for Babies, in communities across the state of…

Read More Read More

A Little Story from Our New Britain Office

A Little Story from Our New Britain Office

Today, I received an email from our New Britain office which is a great reminder of the importance of what we do. I am in New Britain covering today and I saw an older gentleman for a blood pressure check. He has only been here once before, about 2 weeks ago for an initial visit with one of our nurse practitioner residents.  He is uninsured, so she prescribed a blood pressure medication through the 340B program.  Within two weeks his…

Read More Read More

CHC Meriden 5k: Race for Mental Health

CHC Meriden 5k: Race for Mental Health

As the month of May fast-approaches, many efforts are underway nationwide to raise awareness about mental health. May is officially Mental Health Awareness Month, and the Community Health Center, Inc. is doing its part by presenting the first annual CHC Meriden 5k: Race for Mental Health.      The event – which will take place at 9am on Saturday, May 11th at Hubbard Park in Meriden, Connecticut – will see 100% of proceeds sent directly through the United Way of…

Read More Read More

Chaquita Brooks-LaSure, Deputy Director of Insurance Oversight at HHS

Chaquita Brooks-LaSure, Deputy Director of Insurance Oversight at HHS

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Chiquita Brooks-LaSure, Deputy Director for Policy and Regulation at the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at the Department of Health and Human Services. They discuss plans underway at HHS to facilitate access to the newly created health Insurance Exchanges, the online insurance marketplaces for Americans to purchase health insurance under the Affordable Care Act. 

New Ryan White Program Outreach Coordinator Profile – Doug Janssen

New Ryan White Program Outreach Coordinator Profile – Doug Janssen

Meet Doug Janssen, a new Ryan White Program Outreach Coordinator at CHC, Inc. and Oasis Wellness Center! –          Can you tell us a bit about your educational background? I obtained my BA in Sociology at UCONN, Storrs, and JD at Western New England College (now Univ.) in Springfield, MA. After 18 years as a Bond Claim Attorney at three Surety Companies handling embezzlement and contract surety claims, I quit to start my own custom cabinetry business.  As a cabinetmaker, I became very…

Read More Read More