Browsed by
Month: January 2013

National Day of Service – Habitat for Humanity

National Day of Service – Habitat for Humanity

“Everybody can be great … because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love.” These words – uttered by the great Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. – are at once inspiring and humbling in the most positive way. Yesterday, January 21st, 2013, we celebrated the life and contributions of Dr….

Read More Read More

HealthCorps Navigator Profile – Rachel Schindler

HealthCorps Navigator Profile – Rachel Schindler

Meet Rachel Schindler, a HealthCorps Navigator serving as the Program Coordinator for Recess Rocks! –          Can you tell us a bit about your educational background? I graduated with a B.S. in Kinesiology and Health with a focus in Community and Public Health from Iowa State University in 2010. –          What about joining CHC most excites you? Meeting all of the wonderful people that work here and are so excited about bettering healthcare for our communities. I’m also really excited about all of the…

Read More Read More

Martin Luther King Jr. Speech

Martin Luther King Jr. Speech

The following is a speech as prepared for delivery by Yvette Highsmith-Francis this morning at the Martin Luther King Jr. breakfast in Meriden. I am sure that many of us have been impacted by Dr. King’s life and legacy both directly and indirectly. As a young woman, raised by a single mom, living in public housing, living in poverty financially but wealthy in love and support – Dr. King’s legacy became very relevant to me in a serendipitous way –…

Read More Read More

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

A message from Mark and Margaret to the CHC family: This Martin Luther King Jr. Day, let me take a moment to thank each and every member of the CHC family for your work in helping us realize Dr. King’s dream.  In his great “I have a dream” speech, Dr. King said, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin…

Read More Read More

January – Cervical Health Awareness Month

January – Cervical Health Awareness Month

When we hear the words “cervical cancer”, it is generally understood that only women can be diagnosed with this disease. This is true, as the male body does not contain a cervix. Thinking exclusively in this manner, however, can result in missing out on the larger discussion that surrounds cervical cancer: that of dealing with genital human papillomavirus, or HPV. January is Cervical Health Awareness Month, though the scope of this effort is broader than the title might suggest. Cervical…

Read More Read More

Lygeia Ricciardi, Acting Director of Consumer eHealth Office of the National Coordinator

Lygeia Ricciardi, Acting Director of Consumer eHealth Office of the National Coordinator

Mark and Margaret speak with Lygiea Ricciardi, Acting Director of Consumer e-Health at the Office of the National Coordinator at the Department of Health and Human Services. Ms. Ricciardi discusses plans at ONC to accelerate the e-health movement which seeks to make electronic health records available to all patients so they can be better informed stewards and consumers of their own medical care.