Browsed by
Month: January 2013

National Wear Red Day is February 1st

National Wear Red Day is February 1st

Below you will find an email that was sent out to all CHC staff this morning. We hope you will also join us in spreading the word about this incredibly important movement to family and friends. National Wear Red Day® is February 1st! Ten years ago, the American Heart Association (AHA) decided that enough was enough. Heart disease was claiming the lives of half a million American women per year, making it the single deadliest killer of women in our…

Read More Read More

Dr. Barbara Van Dahlen, Founder of Give an Hour

Dr. Barbara Van Dahlen, Founder of Give an Hour

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Barbara Van Dahlen, clinical psychologist and founder of Give an Hour, an organization dedicated to matching returning veterans and their families with behavioral practitioners who volunteer their time. Dr. Van Dahlen talks about the psychological impact of war and mobilizing civilians to support active duty service members, veterans, and their families.

HealthCorps Navigator Profile – Andrea Birnbaum

HealthCorps Navigator Profile – Andrea Birnbaum

Meet Andrea Birnbaum, a HealthCorps Navigator at CHC serving in the Meriden Women’s Center and Stress Reduction Program!  –          Can you tell us a bit about your educational background? I graduated from Colby College in 2012, with a major in Anthropology. This year I am applying to medical school. –          What about joining CHC most excites you? I love getting to know the patients and speaking Spanish with them. The spirit of volunteerism also excites me, and I look forward…

Read More Read More

CHC PROVIDER SELECTED TO SERVE AS MEMBER OF NATIONAL LEADERSHIP ACADEMY FOR THE PUBLIC’S HEALTH

CHC PROVIDER SELECTED TO SERVE AS MEMBER OF NATIONAL LEADERSHIP ACADEMY FOR THE PUBLIC’S HEALTH

written by Eliza Cole Community Health Center, Inc. is pleased to announce that  Amy D. Gagliardi, from the prenatal program,  was selected to participate in  in the inaugural year of The National Leadership Academy for the Public’s Health’s (NLAPH) leadership development initiative. The NLAPH is an innovative approach to leadership development which brings together teams of leaders from multiple sectors to focus on improving health equity in their communities. NLAPH is implemented by the Center of Health Leadership and Practice…

Read More Read More

Dr. John McDonough, Harvard School of Public Health

Dr. John McDonough, Harvard School of Public Health

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. John McDonough, Director of the Center for Public Health Leadership at the Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. McDonough was instrumental in crafting both the Massachusetts Health Care Law as well as the Affordable Care Act and discusses the strengths and vulnerabilities of health reform in America.

CELEBRATING A DECADE OF HEALTHY SMILES AND ORAL HEALTH ACHIEVEMENTS

CELEBRATING A DECADE OF HEALTHY SMILES AND ORAL HEALTH ACHIEVEMENTS

For over a decade, organizations from public and private foundations have come together to create an oral health awareness movement. The American Dental Association (ADA) began the Give Kids a Smile (GKAS) program in 2002 as a way for ADA members to unite with others in the community to provide dental services to underserved children. Ten years ago the Community Health Center, Inc. (CHC) became one of the participants of Give Kid’s a Smile Day to help target the underserved populations…

Read More Read More