Browsed by
Month: November 2012

Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts – Coat & Warm Clothing Drive

Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts – Coat & Warm Clothing Drive

Just about a month ago, Hurricane Sandy devastated much of the eastern seaboard of the United States. Canada, Jamaica, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, and Puerto Rico were also affected by this terrible storm, which has since been deemed the largest Atlantic hurricane in history. The coastlines of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut all suffered tremendously, and recovery efforts will be taking place for quite some time into the future. In the aftermath of Sandy, the HealthCorps Navigators at…

Read More Read More

Dr. Joe Selby, Executive Director of the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute

Dr. Joe Selby, Executive Director of the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Joe Selby, Executive Director of the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute, or PCORI, created by the Affordable Care Act. PCORI has been authorized by Congress to conduct research that will provide patients and their care providers with information about the best available evidence regarding patient outcomes to make informed health decisions.

HealthCorps Navigator Profile – Marsha Pierre

HealthCorps Navigator Profile – Marsha Pierre

Meet Marsha Pierre, a HealthCorps Navigator serving in Access to Care at the Fairfield County sites of CHC, Inc. ! –          Can you tell us a bit about your educational background? I graduated with the Kutztown University class of 2012 with a Bachelors in Anthropology, in Kutztown, PA. –          What about joining CHC most excites you? What most excites me with my position at CHC is its flexibility. I love that I am able to fulfill my equirements as a HealthCorps Navigator, and at the same time,…

Read More Read More

The Health Academy at New Britain High School

The Health Academy at New Britain High School

Recently, there was an article in the Hartford Courant about the Health Academy at New Britain High School.   The article described the phenomenal growth of the program and spoke about how, “During this academic year, a total of 40 junior and senior students will be placed in area healthcare facilities for shadow and internship experiences with disciplines of their choosing.” Yvette Highsmith-Francis, our site director for Meriden and Hartford County sites which includes our New Britain site, wrote to say…

Read More Read More

David Whitlinger, Executive Director of the New York e-Health Collaborative

David Whitlinger, Executive Director of the New York e-Health Collaborative

Mark and Margaret speak with David Whitlinger, Executive Director of the New York e-Health Collaborative, a consortium of policy makers, providers and health industry leaders working to improve health care for all New Yorkers through integrated health information technology. Mr. Whitlinger talks about innovative policies that are helping to facilitate interoperability of the state’s many electronic health systems and mobile health platforms.

SteveSongs CD Release Concerts!

SteveSongs CD Release Concerts!

The following piece was written by Rachel Schindler, a HealthCorps Navigator at CHC, Inc. serving as the Program Coordinator of Recess Rocks.      This past weekend Community HealthCorps Navigators partnered up with Recess Rocks and SteveStongs to celebrate the release of his new album, “Orangutan Van”. Mr. Steve and his band played two shows in Hartford at the CREC Theater of the Performing Arts, and the Recess Rocks theme song was featured in both performances!      At first, we were…

Read More Read More