Browsed by
Month: October 2012

3 Simple Ways to Promote Domestic Violence Awareness

3 Simple Ways to Promote Domestic Violence Awareness

Domestic violence should not happen to anybody but it does – and when it does, people need to know that there is help. Maybe you know someone who has lived with abuse, maybe it happened just once; maybe you work or live next to someone who is being abused right now, maybe you just want to advocate for those without a voice. Whoever you are, it is important to remember that domestic violence is EVERYONE’S business and change happens through…

Read More Read More

Health Justice Town Hall Meeting 2012

Health Justice Town Hall Meeting 2012

Community Health Center is proud to join with the African American Health Council of Southeastern Connecticut, the Commission on African American Affairs, the Commission on Asian American Affairs, the Commission on Health Equity, Connecticut Association of Directors of Health, the Connecticut Multicultural Health Partnership, the Hispanic Health Council, Health Justice CT, Ledge Light Health District and the University of Connecticut Health Center, School of Medicine, Community Based Education Office in sponsoring Health Justice Town Hall Meeting 2012 The meeting will be taking…

Read More Read More

New HealthCorps Navigator Profile – Ruthie Tallents

New HealthCorps Navigator Profile – Ruthie Tallents

Meet Ruthie Tallents, a new HealthCorps Navigator serving at the Family Wellness Center in New Britain! Can you tell us a bit about your educational background? –          I spend my undergrad at the University at Buffalo and got a BS in Pharmacology & Toxicology.  What about joining CHC most excites you? –          I’m looking forward to getting to know the families that come through the Family Wellness Center.  It’s exciting to be able to have a hand in many of the programs…

Read More Read More

QI Microsystems Symposium – Sheffield Teaching Hospitals

QI Microsystems Symposium – Sheffield Teaching Hospitals

Below is a piece written by Jackie Wang, a HealthCorps Navigator at the Community Health Center, Inc. serving in Quality Improvement. She recently took part in a symposium put on by CHC’s QI department which featured representatives from Sheffield Teaching Hospitals of the UK. When I arrived at CHC in August, I remember being impressed by so many aspects of the organization. From the comprehensive care it provides, to its statewide presence, to the beautiful rooftop garden in Middletown, I was blown away. I spent…

Read More Read More

Lillian Reba Moses

Lillian Reba Moses

From Mark Masselli: Tonight, I write with great sadness to say that Reba Moses, one of CHC’s founders, died this evening.  Just a week ago, she entered the hospice at Middlesex and family and friends gathered round.  We sat and talked and held her hand, and though Reba was weak, she was all there as we remembered the times we had shared and the work she had done.  Last night, she had made the decision to return to Middlesex Convalescent…

Read More Read More

Ladies Night Out

Ladies Night Out

Below is a piece written by Nadine Byers, a HealthCorps Navigator at the Community Health Center, Inc. serving in the Early Detection Program. She recently volunteered at an event titled “Ladies Night Out” at Middlesex Hospital in Middletown and commented on her experience. I participated in my first big outreach event for the Early Detection Program (EDP) last week.  Together with Nicole Jarjura, Patient Navigator for the Colorectal Cancer EDP, and four of my lovely HealthCorps Navigator comrades, I attended the Ladies Night…

Read More Read More