Browsed by
Month: August 2012

Inspiring the Next Generation

Inspiring the Next Generation

A key pillar of our model of care is training the next generation of health care workers.  We have a Nurse Practitioner Residency Program and a Postdoctoral Psychology Residency Program.  We work with students from nearby Wesleyan University in Middletown and we provide great opportunities for AmeriCorps members.  Yet all of this is predicated on people being inspired to serve their communities, inspiration that ideally should start well before the college years. As part of National Health Center Week, CHC…

Read More Read More

Dr. Elliot Fisher, Director of Population Health and Policy at the Dartmouth Institute

Dr. Elliot Fisher, Director of Population Health and Policy at the Dartmouth Institute

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Elliot Fisher, Director of Population Health and Policy at the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice. Dr. Fisher talks about his research initiative to study the effectiveness of Accountable Care Organizations, and their ability to improve access to health care, contain costs and yield better outcomes.

@DrNwando Rocks #jnj #inpsirecare Panel at #BlogHer12 Talking about @MyText4Baby

@DrNwando Rocks #jnj #inpsirecare Panel at #BlogHer12 Talking about @MyText4Baby

One of the greatest challenges for a social media manager at a health care organization is getting subject matter experts to speak online in a way that will resonate with others and get repeated.  CHC has some brilliant writers who create wonderful presentations and great articles for peer reviewed journals, and I’ve struggled to help them find their voice online. Friday provided a spectacular example of what can happen when a provider finds their online voice.  At 10:30, our Chief…

Read More Read More

How does your garden grow?

How does your garden grow?

This has been the final week that students from the Macdonough summer school garden club have come to the rooftop of CHC’s building in Middletown to tend to their plots before its time to go back to school. For the past month, students entering grades 3 & 4 have been maintaining the vegetables that we planted in the beginning of May, taking home various vegetables and enjoying the beautiful rooftop. We loved gardening with the students so much that we…

Read More Read More

Ramadan Mubarak – The Memorial in the Luis Lopez Community Garden

Ramadan Mubarak – The Memorial in the Luis Lopez Community Garden

“No man is an island…” The famous words of the great English Poet John Donne rattles through my mind as I sit at my desk.  The other day a friend’s father passed away and it has set a tone for the week.  I put on a medley of songs of remembrance.  Sarah McLachlan ‘s voice comes through the speakers, “Will you remember me?” As is often the case, it’s been a busy week in the communications department at CHC.  Wednesday,…

Read More Read More

Dr. Gerard Anderson, Director of the Center for Hospital Finance and Management, Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health

Dr. Gerard Anderson, Director of the Center for Hospital Finance and Management, Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Gerard Anderson, Director of the Center for Hospital Finance and Management at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Anderson shares his expertise on health care payment reform and living well with chronic disease.