Browsed by
Month: June 2012

The Journey in the Pursuit of Wellness

The Journey in the Pursuit of Wellness

The following is a wonderful guest blog post by AmeriCorps member Brianna Martinez, about her journey in the pursuit of wellness. Salutations! For those of you that do not know me, my name is Brianna and I am the AmeriCorps HealthCorps member for the School Based Health Centers here at CHC. Since wellness seems to be on the tip of everyone’s tongue as of late, I thought I would reflect on my newly discovered infatuation with working out and losing weight. So…

Read More Read More

CHC Community HealthCorps: A Ripple of Hope

CHC Community HealthCorps: A Ripple of Hope

So, I see on my calendar that there is the CHC AmeriCorps Graduation today at noon.  I’m sure that there will be plenty of speeches thanking all of you for the great work you’ve done this year, so I figured, as social media manager, I’d share my thanks electronically. Between my job of promoting great things happening at CHC and sitting up on the third floor of the old dental building, next to the office of two AmeriCorp members and…

Read More Read More

Congressman Patrick Kennedy, Co-Founder of One Mind for Research

Congressman Patrick Kennedy, Co-Founder of One Mind for Research

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with former Congressman Patrick Kennedy, Co-Founder of One Mind for Research. The Congressman discusses One Mind’s goal to cure all diseases of the brain within 10 years by creating a broad-based, global coalition of partners engaged in research, funding and advocacy.

Planting seeds for healthier tomorrows

Planting seeds for healthier tomorrows

If you have been able to visit the beautiful rooftop of the new Middletown building, then you might have noticed seven empty garden plots waiting to be filled! These garden plots were specifically inserted into the blueprint of the rooftop to benefit local community members such as the students of the Macdonough Elementary School Garden club.  Throughout the course of the school year, thirty or so students have been meeting once a week to learn about the art of gardening…

Read More Read More

Dr. Valerie Arkoosh, President of the National Physicians Alliance

Dr. Valerie Arkoosh, President of the National Physicians Alliance

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Valerie Arkoosh, President of the National Physicians Alliance, an organization founded to restore trust in the medical profession by eliminating conflicts of interest. Dr. Arkoosh discusses their “Un-Branded Doctor” initiative which urges physicians to refuse payments of any kind from the pharmaceutical and medical device industry, and talks about the organization’s “Good Stewardship” program which calls for doctors and patients to reduce costly and unnecessary tests.

Celebrating Men’s Health Week: 5 Ways to Sharpen the Brain

Celebrating Men’s Health Week: 5 Ways to Sharpen the Brain

Although Fathers day is less than a week away, National Men’s Health week should not only be a time to promote healthier dad’s, but to also encourage good health among the brothers, uncles,  cousins, grandfathers, friends and everyone in between who are involved in your life. National Men’s Health Week 2012 started on Monday, June 11, and will continue until Sunday, June 17 which is Father’s Day in the US, Canada, and UK. The purpose of Men’s Health Week is to heighten…

Read More Read More