Monthly Archives: May 2012

A Message to Those Who Marched to Remember Those Who Served

The following is an email, edited for the blog, which Dr. Velandy Manohar wrote to the staff at CHC that marched in the Memorial Day parade on Monday.  Dr. Manohar is the proud parent of an active duty Marine Major … Continue reading

Posted in Employees, General | Leave a comment

Dr. Amelia Haviland, Senior Statistician on Health Insurance for the RAND Corporation

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Amelia Haviland, Senior Statistician on Health Insurance for the RAND Corporation, a non-profit organization committed to improving public policy through non-partisan research and analysis. Dr. Haviland discusses RAND’s in-depth study of the … Continue reading

Posted in CHC Radio | Leave a comment

The Polyp

March was National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month and this year, I didn’t get around to putting up a blog post about it.  Yet I did get around to doing some firsthand research.  I am fifty-two years old, have a family … Continue reading

Posted in Early Detection | Leave a comment

Memorial Day Parade 2012

It can be hard to acknowledge why exactly we get a three day weekend around the time of Memorial Day. Summer is right at our fingertips, beach trips and Barbeques are on the agenda, and getting a Monday off from … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Rights, Respect, Responsibility

The month of May is used as a platform to promote National Teen Pregnancy Prevention. The United States has the highest rates of teenage pregnancy and teen births in the western industrialized world and teen pregnancy costs the United States … Continue reading

Posted in Patient Files, Pregnancy | Leave a comment

Cecile Richards, President of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Cecile Richards, President of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America who discusses the millions of Americans receiving basic health care through the organization and the expansion of health information outreach to tens of … Continue reading

Posted in CHC Radio | Leave a comment

United Nations Millennium Campaign

Written by AmeriCorps members Asya Tsarkova and Hope Brigham Every month, the AmeriCorps members participate in a monthly training day as part of our service year. Our trainings topics have varied from group formation and community outreach, to resume building, … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Happy Women’s Health Week

I found a quote by the poet, Maya Angelou, that I thought suited the beginning of this post. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes” As we hit the halfway mark of celebrating … Continue reading

Posted in AmeriCorps, Cancer, Early Detection, Mental Health, Nutrition, Patient Files | Leave a comment

Ongoing Programs

Amidst all the excitement of the 40th Anniversary of CHC together with the opening of the new building in Middletown, it is easy to overlook many of the great ongoing programs at CHC. Next Tuesday, New Horizons Domestic Violence Services … Continue reading

Posted in General | Leave a comment

The New Britain Project Homeless Connect Event

On our journey of building healthy communities, our Wherever You Are program (WYA), along with other CHC staff members participated at the New Britain Project Homeless Connect Event on May 11th. Special thanks goes out to Martha Trevey, Patricia Mik, … Continue reading

Posted in WYA | Leave a comment