Browsed by
Month: May 2012

A Message to Those Who Marched to Remember Those Who Served

A Message to Those Who Marched to Remember Those Who Served

The following is an email, edited for the blog, which Dr. Velandy Manohar wrote to the staff at CHC that marched in the Memorial Day parade on Monday.  Dr. Manohar is the proud parent of an active duty Marine Major and has served veterans nobly for many years.  He has served as part of the Stand Down Event annually at the Rocky Hill VA hospital, and is well acquainted with the effects of war on our fellow Americans and their…

Read More Read More

Dr. Amelia Haviland, Senior Statistician on Health Insurance for the RAND Corporation

Dr. Amelia Haviland, Senior Statistician on Health Insurance for the RAND Corporation

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Dr. Amelia Haviland, Senior Statistician on Health Insurance for the RAND Corporation, a non-profit organization committed to improving public policy through non-partisan research and analysis. Dr. Haviland discusses RAND’s in-depth study of the rapid growth of consumer-directed, high-deductible insurance policies in the private insurance market. She also explores their potential to save tens of billions of dollars in health care costs annually, while cautioning that such plans could lead to diminished health outcomes…

Read More Read More

The Polyp

The Polyp

March was National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month and this year, I didn’t get around to putting up a blog post about it.  Yet I did get around to doing some firsthand research.  I am fifty-two years old, have a family history of pre-cancerous polyps and was overdue for a colonoscopy.  So, I finally got around to scheduling one. For various reasons, I couldn’t get the colonoscopy scheduled until lateMay, but now, I’ve completed my colonoscopy and can write firsthand about…

Read More Read More

Memorial Day Parade 2012

Memorial Day Parade 2012

It can be hard to acknowledge why exactly we get a three day weekend around the time of Memorial Day. Summer is right at our fingertips, beach trips and Barbeques are on the agenda, and getting a Monday off from work is always a nice treat…but that’s not the most important thing about the last Monday in May year after year. I had the privilege to be in Middletown for this year’s Memorial Day parade and I felt like it…

Read More Read More

Rights, Respect, Responsibility

Rights, Respect, Responsibility

The month of May is used as a platform to promote National Teen Pregnancy Prevention. The United States has the highest rates of teenage pregnancy and teen births in the western industrialized world and teen pregnancy costs the United States at least $7 billion annually. Every year, an estimated 750,000 teenagers will get pregnant and more than two-thirds of all teenagers who have a child will not graduate with a high school degree. Although some of these statistics seem a…

Read More Read More

Cecile Richards, President of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America

Cecile Richards, President of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America

This week, Mark and Margaret speak with Cecile Richards, President of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America who discusses the millions of Americans receiving basic health care through the organization and the expansion of health information outreach to tens of millions via the internet and social media. Ms. Richards also discusses the numerous legal challenges to Planned Parenthood on the state and national levels.