Browsed by
Month: April 2012

Autism Awareness: An Easy Target

Autism Awareness: An Easy Target

I was a little hesitant towards writing a blog post reflecting on Autism Awareness month seeing that April only has a few days left, but I was given a little motivation from Aldon Hynes, the social media master here at CHC.  I have been reading up on Autism Awareness and wonderful advocacy foundations, such as Autism Speaks throughout April and it has been highly educational but I did not feel like I had enough of a personal connection with autism…

Read More Read More

The Power of Unity

The Power of Unity

On April 17, I was lucky enough to attend a Patient Navigation Conference hosted by the Connecticut Cancer Partnership.  Along with Marie Yardis, the EDP coordinator at CHC and Corazon Irizarry, a fellow AmeriCorps member, we spent the morning listening to Rian Rodriguez speak about how patient navigation has evolved over the past twenty two years. For me, the concept of patient navigation is very new but was made easy to understand why there was such a high need for…

Read More Read More

Daniel Wolfson, Executive Vice President and COO of the American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation

Daniel Wolfson, Executive Vice President and COO of the American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Daniel Wolfson, Executive Vice President and COO of the ABIM Foundation, which recently launched the “Choosing Wisely” campaign in conjunction with Consumer Reports and nine medical societies. The campaign seeks to reduce the overuse of unnecessary medical tests which waste limited healthcare resources, pose additional risks to patients and drive up healthcare costs in this country.

Splashes of Service in Waterbury

Splashes of Service in Waterbury

During our first week as AmeriCorps members at the Community Health Center, Inc. back in August, we were introduced to the concept of “AmeriCorps Week”. We learned about the two groups who served the years before  us, and the incredible acts of service they completed within one week throughout Connecticut. I remember thinking the spring seemed so far away at that point and we still had plenty of duties to complete before even thinking about our week of service. As we…

Read More Read More

Brian Dolan, Co-Founder and Managing Editor of MobiHealthNews

Brian Dolan, Co-Founder and Managing Editor of MobiHealthNews

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Brian Dolan, Co-Founder and Managing Editor of MobiHealthNews – the online publication monitoring new developments in mobile health technology. Dolan discusses the myriad health and medical applications for mobile phones and tablets that have the power to revolutionize how healthcare is delivered moving forward and how consumers participate in their health care.

Fairfield County Food Drive!!

Fairfield County Food Drive!!

The following is a guest blog post from AmeriCorps member, Diana Desmornes: “More and More people are turning to their local food pantries to feed their families.” In the past couple years; this has been a recurring theme in the news, people who used to be able to sustain their families are now looking for assistance. As the demand increases, local food pantries have been struggling to keep their shelves stocked throughout the year. My first time walking into Christian Community…

Read More Read More