Monthly Archives: April 2012

Autism Awareness: An Easy Target

I was a little hesitant towards writing a blog post reflecting on Autism Awareness month seeing that April only has a few days left, but I was given a little motivation from Aldon Hynes, the social media master here at … Continue reading

Posted in Patient Files | Leave a comment

The Power of Unity

On April 17, I was lucky enough to attend a Patient Navigation Conference hosted by the Connecticut Cancer Partnership.  Along with Marie Yardis, the EDP coordinator at CHC and Corazon Irizarry, a fellow AmeriCorps member, we spent the morning listening … Continue reading

Posted in Cancer, Early Detection | Leave a comment

Daniel Wolfson, Executive Vice President and COO of the American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Daniel Wolfson, Executive Vice President and COO of the ABIM Foundation, which recently launched the “Choosing Wisely” campaign in conjunction with Consumer Reports and nine medical societies. The campaign seeks … Continue reading

Posted in CHC Radio | Leave a comment

Splashes of Service in Waterbury

During our first week as AmeriCorps members at the Community Health Center, Inc. back in August, we were introduced to the concept of “AmeriCorps Week”. We learned about the two groups who served the years before  us, and the incredible acts … Continue reading

Posted in AmeriCorps, Nutrition | Leave a comment

Brian Dolan, Co-Founder and Managing Editor of MobiHealthNews

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Brian Dolan, Co-Founder and Managing Editor of MobiHealthNews – the online publication monitoring new developments in mobile health technology. Dolan discusses the myriad health and medical applications for mobile phones … Continue reading

Fairfield County Food Drive!!

The following is a guest blog post from AmeriCorps member, Diana Desmornes: “More and More people are turning to their local food pantries to feed their families.” In the past couple years; this has been a recurring theme in the news, … Continue reading

Posted in AmeriCorps, Employees | Leave a comment

“Out, Out ..” #SBHCs and the Death of a Student

It seemed like every year or two a classmate of mine in high school would die in an accident; often, it was car accidents.  The year after I left for college, a high school friend disappeared.  A month later, they … Continue reading

Posted in Employees, School Based Health Centers | Leave a comment

Dr. David Cutler, Professor of Applied Economics at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with noted Harvard Health Economist David Cutler, who has been studying the economics of health care reform for over 20 years. Professor Cutler was instrumental in crafting the health care reform … Continue reading

Ribbon Cutting at the new CHC Site in Bristol, CT

Posted in General | Leave a comment

Psychiatric Telemedicine for Uninsured Patients without Stable Housing

How would I cope with being down on my luck, without a good job, a nice house to come home to in the evening, and so many other parts of daily life we so often take for granted?  I imagine … Continue reading

Posted in Telemedicine, WYA | Leave a comment