Browsed by
Month: March 2012

Conversations on Health Care Special Radio Interview on the Supreme Court and the Affordable Care Act

Conversations on Health Care Special Radio Interview on the Supreme Court and the Affordable Care Act

This week, CHC’s Conversation on Health Care has a special broadcast about the Supreme Court and the Affordable Care Act.  Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Professor Timothy Jost, Law Professor and Legal Scholar on Public Health Policy and the Affordable Care Act. Professor Jost, a frequent legal contributor to Health Affairs and NPR, discusses the Supreme Court Hearing on the Affordable Care Act; the constitutional implications and the potential outcomes of the Court’s decision on the legality of…

Read More Read More

Mark Masselli Presented Paul Harris Fellow by Middletown Rotary Club

Mark Masselli Presented Paul Harris Fellow by Middletown Rotary Club

On Thursday Evening, the Middletown Rotary Club presented the Paul Harris Fellow aware to CHC CEO Mark Masselli.  Here are some details of the award as well as comments from Patti Anne Vassia, first woman Middletown Rotary Club member as she presented the award: Mark Masselli, President and Founder of the Community Health Center, was recently presented a Paul Harris Fellow by the Middletown Rotary Club. The Paul Harris Fellow is presented to community members and Rotarians who have made a…

Read More Read More

Stop Tuberculosis in your Lifetime

Stop Tuberculosis in your Lifetime

Every year, on March 24, people across the world generate awareness about the bacterial disease called Tuberculosis. Although a cure for this disease was discovered in 1882, close to 1.5 million people lost their lives to TB in 2011. Mainly in underdeveloped countries, the disease remains a huge issue, especially when proper testing and medications continue to be out of reach. In the movement to eliminate this curable illness, success starts with awareness. A good way to really grasp the…

Read More Read More

Celebrating National AmeriCorps Week!

Celebrating National AmeriCorps Week!

During the designated week of AmeriCorps service across the country, March 10-18, many different groups organized service projects that promoted the week’s theme, “AmeriCorps Works”. At the Community Health Center, Inc. there are fourteen driven individuals that make up our HealthCorps team who volunteered their time at a CT Special Olympics event, Middletown Minds in Motion, serving lunch at St. Vincent de Paul’s, and concluded the week in New Haven at a “Healthy Living for Kids” event, Recess Rocking the…

Read More Read More

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick

This week, hosts Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, who took office just as his state was implementing the most far-reaching health reform to date in this country. Governor Patrick discusses the impact of these reforms on health, healthcare, costs, and the economy in his state and his views about the national impact of the Affordable Care Act.

Emergency Drills

Emergency Drills

It was around thirty years ago.  I was a college student teaching at an elementary school in Ohio.  I had grown up in the Northeast and had never been in a tornado drill, but there I was, as the sirens sounded.  Fortunately, the young students all knew what to do and the teacher whose class I was helping with quickly led me through the motions of the drill. This morning, there was a state wide tornado drill across Virginia.  I…

Read More Read More