Browsed by
Month: October 2011

Raise Awareness: Pink, Purple, Red and Blue

Raise Awareness: Pink, Purple, Red and Blue

It seems like everywhere I look, there is something pink reminding me that this is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Throughout CHC, staff members have been wearing Pink and our Early Detection Program has been doing a great job encouraging people to get tested early. Yet there are many more health issues we need to be aware of.  October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.  New Horizons Domestic Violence Services, a program of CHC, has been running several different events to…

Read More Read More

Stephen Downs, Chief Technology and Information Officer at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Stephen Downs, Chief Technology and Information Officer at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Conversations on Health Care focusesthis week on a new initiative in health care that makes medical information accessible for patients. Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Stephen Downs from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation about the Blue Button initiative, a technology that has the capability to revolutionize the way patients engage with their health care.

New Britain Homeless Connect

New Britain Homeless Connect

Hello everyone! I am the new AmeriCorps member for the Wherever You Are (WYA) program here at CHC. I am very excited to be working with WYA and CHC this year, and I look forward to sharing more through this blog. Already I have been humbly exposed to the conditions that many homeless people regretfully experience, and the great contributions that so many community members make to help improve their quality of life. The WYA team is among these organizations and individuals who…

Read More Read More

Fairfield County’s October Employees of the Month

Fairfield County’s October Employees of the Month

For the month of October Fairfield County Director Adele Gordon chose two clinical staff members who have done exemplary work in missing no opportunities for preventative care screenings. Known as the “Planned Care Missed Opportunities Report,” this report tracks whether the providers made appointments or offered referrals for screenings for breast cancer, depression and colorectal cancer as well as A1C testing. The Quality Improvement Team began tracking these opportunities in July 2011 with the global aim of improving CHC patient…

Read More Read More

Pretty in Pink!

Pretty in Pink!

I must say that I am thrilled by the number of local businesses that have joined forces to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer education and research in the month of October. Last week the Middletown Fire Department was dressed in pink. They wore beautiful pink t-shirts tucked into their uniform pants and when asked, they happily posed for a group photo in their pink shirts! The shirts are currently on sale at the Middletown Fire Department. They are 20 dollars, so…

Read More Read More

A new experience for EDP…

A new experience for EDP…

The following is a guest post by Marie Yardis, program manager for CHC’s Early Detection Program On Monday September 26th, I received an email invitation from the Hartford Public Library to attend a Naturalization Ceremony September 27th, where thirty individuals representing 19 countries would become citizens of the United States. I sat for a moment thinking about how I landed on this invitation list but believing everything happens for a reason, I cleared the space in my calendar and the next day was…

Read More Read More