Browsed by
Month: July 2011

Community Health Center, Inc. Hosts the 18th Best Practices Forum

Community Health Center, Inc. Hosts the 18th Best Practices Forum

Community Health Center, Inc. is thrilled to host the 18th Best Practices Forum and engage in conversations around the issues affecting and changing health care.  The Best Practices Forum brings together leaders from the most forward thinking community health center organizations for an annual conference to share ideas on how to improve health care delivery across the country. This two and a half day conference features speaker-led sessions and discussions around innovations and tactics that can help improve health center…

Read More Read More

Community Health Centers in China

Community Health Centers in China

On Thursday afternoons, I often participate in a discussion on Twitter about community health centers.  It is a ‘TweetChat’ that uses the hashtag, ‘#chcchat’.  Most of the participants are from the United States or from Canada.  However, we’ve also had participants join us from as far away as New Zealand and Australia, so I’ve come to think about community health centers internationally, but I’ve still thought of them as being predominantly Western European or English speaking. Today changed my view…

Read More Read More

Dr. Jay Parkinson, co-founder of Hello Health and The Future Well.

Dr. Jay Parkinson, co-founder of Hello Health and The Future Well.

Conversations on Health Care focuses this week on breaking the mold in healthcare delivery design. Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Jay Parkinson, co-founder of the online healthcare service Hello Health and the innovation firm, The Future Well. Dr. Parkinson’s innovations in the redesign of primary care and how we think about health earned him “The Doctor of the Future” and one of the “Top Ten Most Creative People in Healthcare” by Fast Company.

To fast or not to fast? How to manage diabetes during Ramadan

To fast or not to fast? How to manage diabetes during Ramadan

Recently, a bunch of us got into a discussion of how patients with diabetes should approach fasting during Ramadan. Dr. Stefanie Nigro who is an Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of CT School of Pharmacy wrote the following blog post with the help of others at CHC. She notes that decisions about fasting are personal decisions that need to be made by a patient in collaboration with their healthcare provider. The blog post provides a framework and important information…

Read More Read More

Dr. Farzad Mostashari, the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology.

Dr. Farzad Mostashari, the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology.

Conversations on Health Care focuses this week on the national leadership driving the advancement of health information technology in the U.S. Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Dr. Farzad Mostashari, the new National Coordinator, about the progress that’s been made in the more widespread adoption of HIT, who’s driving the change, and what it means for patients.

FoodSmart and Fit®

FoodSmart and Fit®

Okay.  I admit it, like too many Americans I weigh more than I really should.  Also, like too many Americans I’m not really managing to make significant changes in my weight.  Last summer, I did manage to swim at the town pool quite a bit and I dropped a fair amount of weight, but when fall rolled around, I put the weight back on.  Some of that is probably because I didn’t make any simple long term changes to my…

Read More Read More