Browsed by
Month: June 2011

David Wessel, economics editor of the Wall Street Journal

David Wessel, economics editor of the Wall Street Journal

Last Sunday, WNPR in Connecticut joined the family of stations carrying Conversations on Health Care.  The show continues to air on numerous other stations and be available on the CHCRadio website and iTunes.  I will continue to post new shows here for people wishing to use other podcasting clients.  The URL for the Podcast feed is http://community.chc1.com/category/chcradio/feed/ This week, Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with David Wessel, economics editor of the Wall Street Journal. He’ll give us his perspective…

Read More Read More

Going Viral to Stop the Spread of a Virus

Going Viral to Stop the Spread of a Virus

Last night, I received an email from our Chief Medical Office, Dr. J. Nwando Olayiwola concerning the National HIV Testing Day Chat Series on Twitter.  It is a weeklong set of chats with interesting speakers and an interesting set of topics.  Various people from CHC will participate in some of the chats, and I’m disappointed that I missed a couple of the early chats.  I realize that not everyone reading this blog is used to TweetChats, so I’m going to…

Read More Read More

Pneumocystis Pneumonia – A Community Response

Pneumocystis Pneumonia – A Community Response

Last Saturday, I received an email from our clinical director, Margaret Flinter sharing her reflections on 30 years of HIV.  It is a long, but very meaningful message, and I am posting it here in its entirety with her permission. – Aldon Good morning, everyone,  Every once in a while, something causes us to stop and take a deep breath and reflect on momentous changes and challenges we have faced at CHC, in healthcare, and in our communities.  I had…

Read More Read More

June Employee of the Month

June Employee of the Month

Adele Gordon awarded AmeriCorps member Juan Javier-Desloges with Fairfield County’s June Employee of the Month designation.  Juan was not available to receive the award at the staff meeting because he had to leave to start his first semester of medical school.  CONGRATULATIONS Juan!!! Adele praised Juan’s work with CHC, which he did with enthusiasm and extraordinary effort.  From participating in various community fairs like Stone Soup and the Hispanic Fair, to organizing a successful Red Cross blood drive in Stamford…

Read More Read More

Men’s Health

Men’s Health

Sunday is Father’s Day, so this week is Men’s Health Week and this month is Men’s Health Month.  Now men’s health isn’t an issue just for fathers, all men should pay more attention to their health.  Right now, women live an average of about four years longer than men in the United States.  Some of this may be because women are more likely to visit doctors for annual examinations and preventative services than men.  In the Patient Files, CHC recommends…

Read More Read More

What if Leopold Bloom worked at a Community Health Center?

What if Leopold Bloom worked at a Community Health Center?

This morning, I awoke and tweeted a few lines from James Joyce’s Ulysses.  After all, today is Bloomsday.  Joyce’s Ulysses traced the wanderings of Leopold Bloom through Dublin on this day in 1904, and literary enthusiasts around the world celebrate this day in many different ways.  NPR ran a story on people tweeting Ulysses, and I even added a line from Ulysses as I checked in at work on Foursquare.  As I stopped to wish a coworker Happy Bloomsday, the…

Read More Read More