Browsed by
Month: May 2011

Donna Thompson, chief executive officer of Access Community Health Network in Chicago

Donna Thompson, chief executive officer of Access Community Health Network in Chicago

Conversations on Health Care focuses this week on the unique role of community health centers in integrating clinical excellence with education, training, and research. Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Donna Thompson, RN, CEO of Access Community Health Network in Chicago, the country’s largest health center and developer of the first NIH funded research center devoted exclusively to studying health disparities. Be sure to check out @ACCESSHealth on Twitter as well, especially their tweets about #PinASister

Text4baby: The State Enrollment Contest.

Text4baby: The State Enrollment Contest.

Part of orientation for new employees at CHC is a bus tour of different sites we run around the state.  To some, it may seem repetitive.  How much difference is there, really between different waiting rooms or examination rooms?  Yet if you look a little more closely, you pick up little things here and there that you see at one site that you don’t see at another.  When I was at our Clinton site during the bus tour, a poster…

Read More Read More

Join us in celebrating Patricia Mik, RN, CHC’s “Nightingale Award 2011 recipient”

Join us in celebrating Patricia Mik, RN, CHC’s “Nightingale Award 2011 recipient”

The following is a message from Mark and Margaret about Patricia Mik, RN, CHC’s “Nightingale Award 2011 recipient”  Thursday evening in the ballroom of the Hartford Marriott, a thousand people gathered for the annual Nightingale Awards for Excellence in Nursing.  The Nightingale Awards ceremony is a collaborative effort, celebrated in four cities across Connecticut simultaneously, to celebrate outstanding nurses.   Mark and I would like you to join us in congratulating Patricia Mik, RN, of our “Wherever You Are” (W.Y.A) Healthcare for…

Read More Read More

“Our life is more than our work, and our work is more than our job.”

“Our life is more than our work, and our work is more than our job.”

It is an old union chant I learned decades ago and these days, as people struggle to find good jobs, it has come back to my mind.  Many people I know take jobs to pay the bills.  Their job aren’t really an important part of the greater work they want to do, and it is something they endure to be able to have the type of life they want. Others are more fortunate.  They view their work in terms of…

Read More Read More

Barbara DiPietro, policy director for the National Health Care for the Homeless Council.

Barbara DiPietro, policy director for the National Health Care for the Homeless Council.

Conversations on Health Care focuses this week on the health care needs of the homeless. Mark Masselli and Margaret Flinter speak with Barbara DiPietro, who directs policy and advocacy for the National Health Care for the Homeless Council, about delivering patient-centered, team-based, coordinated health care to those experiencing homelessness and how this fits into the larger healthcare system. If you wish to subscribe to the CHC Radio mailing list, please fill out this form:     join our mailing list…

Read More Read More

STD Awareness Month

STD Awareness Month

Okay.  I did it again.  I put off writing about important medical tests.  March was National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month.  I waited until the end of the month to write about it, just as I imagine people have put off colorectal cancer screening.  As a quick reminder, you don’t have to get screened during National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month.  You can get screened in any month. I did even worse in April.  April was STD Awareness Month and here we…

Read More Read More