Browsed by
Month: May 2011

A Memorial Day to Remember

A Memorial Day to Remember

It started about a month and a half ago, those lunch time meetings to discuss CHC’s presence in the 2011 Middletown Memorial Day parade.  Some of the stalwarts who had helped organize parades from years ago were joined by new people from Communications and our AmeriCorps teams.  We bounced around ideas for the float, for t-shirts, and how we could best honor the men and women who served our country defending our freedom, especially, those who gave all.  After exploring…

Read More Read More

Friday Wrap-Up

Friday Wrap-Up

It is a beautiful Friday afternoon after a long hard week.  It is warm and the sun is shining here in Connecticut after a rainy start to the week.  A lot of our staff have been working long hours this week with the legislative reception Wednesday afternoon and the Annual Meeting of the Nursing Staff last night.  In a few hours, a three day weekend begins and I suspect some people are having difficulty keeping their minds from wandering, just…

Read More Read More

The Patient Centered Legislative Reception

The Patient Centered Legislative Reception

I’ve been involved in politics long enough for opportunities to speak with local, state and federal elected officials and candidates to become fairly old hat and routine.  The politicians are familiar old friends and we talk about topics we’ve covered time and time again.  Of course, when you are talking with a politician, it is almost always about them, their campaigns, the bills they’re working on, their interests, and if they are any good, at least a little bit about…

Read More Read More

Cause for Concern: “Bath Salts” as a New Drug of Abuse

Cause for Concern: “Bath Salts” as a New Drug of Abuse

The following is a guest post from Marissa Salvo, Pharm.D. Assistant Clinical Professor, University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy Clinical Pharmacist, Community Health Center, Inc. Meriden Recently, I had my oil changed at the local auto shop. While there, one of the employees started talking with me about recent local news. He addressed the upcoming elections, a major accident on the highway, destruction of headstones at a local cemetery, and then he discussed the robbery of his home. I didn’t…

Read More Read More

The Gratitude PDSA

The Gratitude PDSA

Every day at 4 PM, I try to listen in to a leadership meeting about what is going on at CHC.  Last week, a new idea was presented.  At the annual Dental Staff dinner, there was a discussion about practicing gratitude.  People who make an effort to regularly be grateful for what they have tend to be more optimistic and to spread joy.  The idea was presented that the leadership team should make an effort to write down three things…

Read More Read More

Training the Next Generation of Family Nurse Practitioners

Training the Next Generation of Family Nurse Practitioners

Note: This is a guest post from Kerry Bamrick: Hi. I’m the program coordinator for America’s First Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program at Community Health Center, Inc. In 2007, the Community Health Center, headquartered in Middletown, CT launched the first-in-the nation formal Nurse Practitioner Residency Training Program to support the transition from new NP to primary care provider. Our goal is national replication of CHC’s model of community-based residency training for family nurse practitioners. Since 2007, there has been significant…

Read More Read More