Monthly Archives: May 2011

A Memorial Day to Remember

It started about a month and a half ago, those lunch time meetings to discuss CHC’s presence in the 2011 Middletown Memorial Day parade.  Some of the stalwarts who had helped organize parades from years ago were joined by new … Continue reading

Posted in General | Leave a comment

Friday Wrap-Up

It is a beautiful Friday afternoon after a long hard week.  It is warm and the sun is shining here in Connecticut after a rainy start to the week.  A lot of our staff have been working long hours this … Continue reading

Posted in Nursing | Leave a comment

The Patient Centered Legislative Reception

I’ve been involved in politics long enough for opportunities to speak with local, state and federal elected officials and candidates to become fairly old hat and routine.  The politicians are familiar old friends and we talk about topics we’ve covered … Continue reading

Posted in PCMH, Politics, School Based Health Centers | Leave a comment

Cause for Concern: “Bath Salts” as a New Drug of Abuse

The following is a guest post from Marissa Salvo, Pharm.D. Assistant Clinical Professor, University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy Clinical Pharmacist, Community Health Center, Inc. Meriden Recently, I had my oil changed at the local auto shop. While there, one … Continue reading

Posted in Pharmacists | Leave a comment

The Gratitude PDSA

Every day at 4 PM, I try to listen in to a leadership meeting about what is going on at CHC.  Last week, a new idea was presented.  At the annual Dental Staff dinner, there was a discussion about practicing … Continue reading

Posted in General | Leave a comment

Training the Next Generation of Family Nurse Practitioners

Note: This is a guest post from Kerry Bamrick: Hi. I’m the program coordinator for America’s First Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program at Community Health Center, Inc. In 2007, the Community Health Center, headquartered in Middletown, CT launched the first-in-the … Continue reading

Posted in Nursing, Residency Programs | 1 Comment

Text4Baby and WABC-TV

A little over a week ago, I wrote about the Text4baby: The State Enrollment Contest and now the first weeks statistics are available.  New Hampshire, Wyoming, West Virginia, Kansas and Vermont are leading the pack, with Connecticut currently ranked 32rd.  … Continue reading

Posted in Pregnancy | Leave a comment

Mental Health Month Blog Party

Today, the American Psychological Association is hosting a Mental Health Month Blog Party.  It seems like a great idea.  First, blog parties are important social media events.  They are opportunities to connect with other blogs interested in similar issues.  I’m … Continue reading

Posted in Mental Health | 2 Comments

AmeriCorps Week

AmeriCorps week got off to a wet week in Connecticut.  Sunday, the team was at the Enfield Common Grounds Rotary Garden, but had to cancel after a few hours because of the rain.  Monday was also rainy as they started … Continue reading

Posted in AmeriCorps | Leave a comment

New Employee of the Month Program in Fairfield County Recognizes Noemi Portillo, Stamford Front Desk Receptionist

Note: CHC has many wonderful employees and we are exploring ways of honoring their great work.  Amy Taylor has sent me the following as a blog post, which we hope to see develop into a regular feature.  Please, let us … Continue reading

Posted in Employees | Leave a comment