Browsed by
Month: April 2011

Familial and Medical Homes

Familial and Medical Homes

In a few weeks, children, perhaps with the help of their fathers will make breakfast in bed for their mothers.  They will bring them cards of appreciation; perhaps even flowers, chocolates or other gifts.  Mothers will be brought out to lunches or dinners all as part of the annual celebration of Mother’s Day.  This recognition won’t be for some extraordinary event.  Instead it will be recognition for doing the daily tasks of motherhood, whether it be preparing meals, cleaning dishes…

Read More Read More

Rethinking Meditation

Rethinking Meditation

One day when my youngest daughter was in Kindergarten, she came home and told my wife that her yoga teacher said that someone had complained about yoga and the students would no longer be allowed to say Namaste at the end of class.  Namaste is a common Hindi salutation which is sometimes translated, “The spirit in me respects the spirit in you”.  Personally, I think there is great value in teaching children to show respect to those around them.    However,…

Read More Read More

Dr. Mary Jane Koren, vice president for the Picker-Commonwealth Fund Long-Term Quality Improvement Program

Dr. Mary Jane Koren, vice president for the Picker-Commonwealth Fund Long-Term Quality Improvement Program

The latest episode of Conversations on Health Care is now up on the CHCRadio website and on iTunes.  You can listen this afternoon on WESU in Middletown, CT and on other radio stations over the coming week. I am also posting the information here for people who want to subscribe to an RSS feed of the show or listen to it with other podcast clients.

Pill Counter, or Medical Sleuth

Pill Counter, or Medical Sleuth

Last Thursday during a weekly TweetChat about community health centers the topic of drug resistant bacteria came up which led to some interesting comments about pharmacists at community health centers.  I mentioned that we have some pharmacists and pharmacy students at CHC and was asked to provide more information about it.  Unfortunately, I didn’t know an awful lot, so I decided it was best to put things off, do some research and then put up this blog post. When I…

Read More Read More

Crossing Other Quality Chasms

Crossing Other Quality Chasms

Even though quality cannot be defined, you know what quality is Absence of Quality is the essence of squareness. – Robert Pirsig This morning, Health Affairs had a Briefing: Still Crossing the Quality Chasm.  They also put up a blog post, Hospital Errors Ten Times More Common Than Thought?.  It referred back to the Institute of Medicine’s landmark report, Crossing the Quality Chasm, which yesterday’s Conversations on Health Care guest, Dr. Lucian Leape helped write. I must admit, when I…

Read More Read More

Dr. Lucian Leape, a leading figure in the modern patient safety movement.

Dr. Lucian Leape, a leading figure in the modern patient safety movement.

The latest episode of Conversations on Health Care is now up on the CHCRadio website and on iTunes.  You can listen this afternoon on WESU in Middletown, CT and on other radio stations over the coming week. I am also posting the information here for people who want to subscribe to an RSS feed of the show or listen to it with other podcast clients. Conversations on Health Care focuses this week on patient safety – how far we’ve come and what…

Read More Read More