Browsed by
Month: January 2011

Welcome Home

Welcome Home

I was born in Maine and grew up in Massachusetts, and I love the snow.  Well, most years I love the snow.  This year, however, with record snowfalls in Connecticut, it is starting to wear me down a bit.  As I sit in my office and worry about how I’ll get home, or get into the office during the next snow storm, I stop to remember a few things.  First, I’m fortunate to have a good job.  I work with…

Read More Read More

The Health Care Game

The Health Care Game

I am a big fan of games.  They are an important part of how we learn, whether it be coordination in hopscotch or socialization in tag, they are important in our education.  With computers, our relationship to games is changing.  To take advantage of this, I told my children when they were young, that they could play any computer game that they could write.  It provided additional educational experiences. Now, ‘gamefication’ is a hot topic as people explore how to…

Read More Read More

This Week in Health Care News

This Week in Health Care News

Inside of CHC, we regularly share links to articles about health care issues, and it seems useful to try to create a summary of the weekly news.  In the world of marketing, two stories caught people’s attention.  Wal-Mart’s decision to promote health foods got a lot of attention, as seen in this article in the New York Times: Wal-Mart Shifts Strategy to Promote Healthy Foods.  Reuters reported that Cigarette ads may lure teens to smoke.  The Reuters report doesn’t seem…

Read More Read More

Using the Monomyth as a Therapeutic Tool

Using the Monomyth as a Therapeutic Tool

Recently, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation published a report, Culturally Appropriate Storytelling to Improve Blood Pressure.  Their research found: African-Americans with uncontrolled high blood pressure benefited from an intervention using DVDs of real patients’ stories of how they dealt with their chronic disease. It has generated a lot of interesting discussions.  Should this research be replicated in different ways?  Would it work with other communities?  Other health conditions?  Other ways of distributing the stories?    Could stories of successfully controlling high…

Read More Read More

Marc Wetherhorn on CHC Radio

Marc Wetherhorn on CHC Radio

Wednesday afternoon at 4:30, Advocacy Director for the National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC) Marc Wetherhorn will be the guest of the Conversations on Health Care Radio Show on WESU. You can listen to the show as it is broadcast on WESU and join the online discussion using the #chcradio hashtag on Twitter or on TweetChat The tweets are also being displayed and saved on CoverItLive.  After the show completes, the link will provide an archive of the comments….

Read More Read More

Reflections for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Reflections for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

In 1944, according to an article in the New York Times, Martin Luther King, Jr. came to Connecticut as a young man to work on a tobacco farm.  In a letter to his father, he wrote, “After we passed Washington there was no discrimination at all. The white people here are very nice. We go to any place we want to and sit any where we want to.”  The article talks about how some believe that these experiences shaped the…

Read More Read More